Matt Grimaldi wrote:

> > On Behalf Of Robert Seeberger:
> >
> > > The meme that claims the Bible as the only
> > > source of christian truth is a protestant myth
> > > that totally ignores the truth of the Bibles
> > > origins.
> >

> Jon Gabriel wrote:
> >
> > I have a number of Baptist (bible-literalist) and
> > Protestant friends who would just *freak* over
> > this statement.  I'll therefore take it as a
> > Catholic view and not a Christian one.
> >

> They would probably also try to argue that the King
> James edition of the Bible is exactly the word of God,
> as spoken (in English) by God and not merely a (well
> done) translation of a much older original document.

Actually, the King James isn't a terribly good translation.  If you go
back to the original texts, there are errors and such.  Any *good*
modern translation is done by scholars going back to the original texts,
Hebrew and NT Greek, and translating from there, not paying the KJ any
mind.

Now, it *is* poetic and sounds interesting when read out loud, and since
it's the oldest English translation easily available, it's been a
standby for centuries, and that would explain some of its popularity
today.  (But if you want that sort of language, try Shakespeare as
well.)

        Julia