On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 07:24 pm, Dan Minette wrote:

I decided to finish my reply on religion based ethics, since there've been
comments on me ducking the issue. I am more than happy to discuss it; its
just that it takes a bit of time to clearly express my thoughts on it.
Even if man is 'created in the image and likeness of God' that says
nothing about how men should treat each others without an additional
assumption that 'those created in the image and likeness of God must
be treated in such and such ways'.

Right, just as if one points out how valuable $100 bills are, there is
nothing said about burning them being a bad idea. Rather, they are simply
called valuable.

The analogy is closer to
1) Man is made in God's image = This is a $100 bill
2) 'those created in the image and likeness'... = $100 bills are valuable.

 I cannot imagine picturing someone as the image and
likeness of Love and Truth and Goodness, and still thinking there is
nothing at all wrong with harming them.

Sorry, but I don't see how the limitations of your imagination constitute an argument.

So you might as well ditch the
'image and likeness of God' part and go directly to the 'must be
treated in such and such ways' part.  God is a redundant assumption
that adds nothing to the line of argument.

No, not really.

Yes, really.

To me, the real question/the real dividing point is
whether one accepts the transcendental. Once one does this, one is arguing
theology when one sees Love and Goodness as self-aware and the foundation
of all existence or as non-self aware principals. I certainly will not
claim any proof of God's existence by simplicity; I was just pointing out
having one starting point for self worth, the foundation of Love, the
foundation of right and wrong is not really a matter of complication.

So you don't have an argument then?

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A bad thing done for a good cause is still a bad thing. It's why so few people slap their political opponents. That, and because slapping looks so silly." - Randy Cohen.