At 07:17 AM 7/12/2003 -0700, you wrote:
--- Kevin Tarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Yo G, do you know WHY Koufax didn't win the Cy
Young
> award four years in a
> row? Be honest now, I didn't until a few minutes
> ago.
>
> I really wish Bob would quit disagreeing with you. I
> mean, Pedro pitches
> against the best players, from the worst pitching
> mounds, in the best
> hitters stadiums, with the smallest strike zones and
> foul ground, in front
> of the best fans (at home) or worst fans (on the
> road), in the best decade
> of last century and the best one so far this
> century. With all those facts,
> it's obvious he's the bestest!
>
> Kevin T. - VRWC

Kevin - not sure what you mean, other than the fact
that only one Cy Young Award was awarded for all of
MLB (instead of one for each league) for most of
Koufax's career.  If there was some other reason, I'm
not aware of it.  But if those five seasons were so
astonishingly good that they qualify him as the best
pitcher _ever_, surely it doesn't matter whether there
was one award or two given out.  I mean, if there was
only one given out, don't you think Randy Johnson
would still have won all four?  And Maddux as well?
Clemens might not have won all six, to be fair.

Gautam Mukunda

Yes, I did mean that the Cy Young award was only awarded to one pitcher, from either league. You probably knew that, I didn't.

If you think his 1964 numbers aren't as good as the American league winner....he had one less win but four less losses, his ERA was 0.09 more. His innings were a lot less (than other years), was he injured that year? Do we know what went through the minds of the voters that year? Maybe they were trying to balance the award, giving it to the AL pitcher, who had one standout year. I never heard of Dean Chance until yesterday.

In 1962 his teammate won it, with a higher ERA, but also a lot more innings pitched and games won or lost.

Your best ever pitcher hasn't won the Cy Young award four times or three in a row. Not saying that as a dig, you may have said that you aren't using it as a measuring stick. He was second in the voting in 1998, but it was unanimous for Clemens. Koufax wasn't in the running in 1962, and was 3rd in 1964, but it still looks like it was given to the winner because he had more innings pitched and wins. In 1962 all the CY pitchers were from the NL, and it still looks like Koufax has just as good numbers. Where was Pedro in 1996? Leading the league in sacrifice hits.

We can throw number at each other all day. You aren't going to change your mind, and neither am I or Bob Z.. I do think you are being shortsided as a modernist, but that's my opinion not a statement of fact.

Kevin T. - VRWC