--- Kevin Tarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Your best ever pitcher hasn't won the Cy Young award
> four times or three in
> a row. Not saying that as a dig, you may have said
> that you aren't using it
> as a measuring stick. He was second in the voting in
> 1998, but it was
> unanimous for Clemens. Koufax wasn't in the running
> in 1962, and was 3rd in
> 1964, but it still looks like it was given to the
> winner because he had
> more innings pitched and wins. In 1962 all the CY
> pitchers were from the
> NL, and it still looks like Koufax has just as good
> numbers. Where was
> Pedro in 1996? Leading the league in sacrifice hits.
>
> We can throw number at each other all day. You
> aren't going to change your
> mind, and neither am I or Bob Z.. I do think you are
> being shortsided as a
> modernist, but that's my opinion not a statement of
> fact.
>
> Kevin T. - VRWC

But, Kevin, as I've said several times, I don't think
he's the best ever pitcher, except on a game-for-game
basis.  If I had to pick a pitcher to win _one game_,
I'd pick him - more specifically, the 1999 version of
him.  If I had to pick a pitcher as "greatest pitcher
ever" - that is, the pitcher who, over his career,
contributed the most to the various teams for which he
played - it's probably Tom Seaver, counting only
pitchers after the Second World War (again, I think
it's impossible to compare to pitchers before the
Second World War.  Walter Johnson never threw anything
but a fastball and probably only rarely even 100
pitches in a game.  Doesn't make him less than great,
it just makes him completely impossible to judge
against modern pitchers).  But in this case, I don't
think I'm actually making a modern's bias argument.
Adjusted for era, Pedro's numbers at his peak are just
flat-out better.  A modern's bias would be if the two
were roughly equal, and I was saying _that_ showed
that Pedro was better.  But that is not, in fact, my argument.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"