I think that enough has been bandied about the relationship between
science and knowledge that it would be worthwhile to discuss this topic
directly.  I'll put forth, once again, viewpoints that I hold.

The purpose of science is to model and predict phenomenon. It also allows
us to manipulate phenomenon. Ideally, the model should be as simple as
possible (but no simpler).  Different models that make the same predictions
but have different model elements are equally valid.

The purpose of science is not to help us understand reality; it is not
about the truth.  Indeed, one of my favorite statements about science is
"the most important development in the history of science is when it was
decided that it wasn't about the truth."

Indeed, you find in a working group of scientists, a wide variety of
metaphysical positions.  To first order, they are all perfectly consistant
with science. I've noticed that it is very easy for scientists to happily
argue metaphysics over coffee and then drop their differences when they
actually work.

The reason for this is that there is a general acceptance of the
proposition that science is not about knowing what is real and true.  Since
it is simply about modeling phenomenon, one need not worry about
differences over understandings of truth while doing science.

Let me give an example of this by answering a question that Erik asked
Debby.  What's the difference between believing in astrology and believing
in inner experiences.  When I posed the question, and my answer to a
non-theist colleague, he agreed that the following answer was obvious.  One
is a statement that makes testable predictions: one's nature and behavior
is correlated with birth date and time.  The other makes a statement that
is neither confirmed nor denied by observation.

The obvious question arises, why believe things, why not just limit oneself
to observables? The answer, which is the reasons that logical positivism
self desctrued as a philosophical movement, is that very little can
actually be derivable from observations alone.  One has to add reasonable
presuppositions; which are not knowledge but belief.

With this understanding, one can see how one can use analytical technique
to criticize statements that are testable by experiments while still
holding positions that are not testable, oneself.  The criterion is very
simple, IMHO.  One requires that beliefs are consistant with observation of
phenomenon, but need not require that they be reducible to observation.

Dan M.