Robert Seeberger wrote:

> But there's more. Included in the "43 times" of Kellermann are 37 suicides,
> some 86 percent of the alleged total, which have nothing to do with either
> crime or defensive uses of firearms. Even Kellermann and Reay say clearly
>
>   ".[that] the precise nature of the relation between gun availability and
> suicide is unclear."

What I can say on the subject is that if someone attempts suicide,
they're more likely to be successful if they use a gun.

During the period when I was in high school, plus my first two years of
college, and my sister was in junior high and high school, there were 2
suicides in our town that we were aware of, and 1 attempted suicide that
we were aware of.  The successful suicides were both with guns.  I think
I heard rumor of a third suicide during that time, but I don't know what
was used.  The 1 attempted suicide I know of did *not* use a gun, and he
was found before he died, and they got him help.

(This is a town that had less than 6000 people by the end of the period
in question, and fewer than that at the beginning.)

        Julia