At 11:09 AM 8/31/03 -0500, Julia Thompson wrote:
"Ronn!Blankenship" wrote:

> At 09:12 PM 8/30/03 -0500, The Fool wrote:
>
> > > And then there are the cases where Junior uses Daddy's computer while
> >Daddy
> > > is out of town (despite explicit instructions not to do so), and of
> >course
> > > Junior opens the e-mail promising an "Awesome screen-saver" . . .
>
> Which of course is exactly how another e-mail list I am on went through a
> period like the one Brin-L has been going through recently, with the list
> server and many of the list members' machines getting bombarded over and
> over by virus attempts which we eventually traced back to a particular list
> member whose account the list manager then terminated after he didn't
> respond to any messages informing him that his machine was infected and
> bombarding the list.  Then a couple of weeks later we all got an apologetic
> message from him after he got back from his trip, discovered what his kid
> had done in his absence, and gotten his computer cleaned up.  I don't
> recall him sharing with us the details of what he did to the kid . . . ;-)

I'd avoid the problem of my list being bombarded with crap due to my
kid's negligence by having a kids' computer (or maybe even one for each
of them) and letting them know there'd be dire consequences for doing
*anything* on mine without explicit permission.

Again, that is exactly what this man did, but the old saying about "When the cat's away, the mice will play" was proven again as the temptation of using Daddy's more powerful machine while he was out of town proved too great for the kid in question. I suppose he could have done something like take the motherboard out of his machine and lock it in a bank safe-deposit box that only he had the key to, but I doubt he thought that would be necessary . . .

-- Ronn! :)