Andy wrote:
On the other hand, I know several people who reject religion and who
are "pro-life" to an extremely extent. They say it's BECAUSE they
reject an afterlife, etc. that every Human life is worth saving.

jms of Babylon 5 fame is a noted atheist and takes this position.

As an aside, in a posting to the rec.arts.sf.tv.b5mod newsgroup
back on 6/14/1997, jms had this to say:

    BTW, on the issue of Madalyn O'Hair...or O'Hare, I can never
    remember which it is...interesting thing is, I worked for her magazine
    for a while, doing a couple of columns and articles. At the time, I
    did so because I felt (and still to some extent feel) that atheists are
    easy targets in society....

    But in working for her magazine, I gradually figured out that
    she wasn't oriented toward equal respect on both sides, for atheism and
    religion, which is where I am...she was anti-religion and looking to
    sabotage that element of society, which I do not condone. It's simply
    wrong. I've always said, the day they try to shut down the churches,
    I'll be the first one on the firing line to fight back...I just hope
    that the other side will join me when they try to shut down the
    libraries. Which, finally, is why I resigned from her magazine. I'm
    pro-tolerance, and don't have time for bigots of any stripe.

Just thought I'd toss that in here.

Reggie Bautista
Tolerance Maru

PS Someone else said once in the same newsgroup "Of course, since JMS
is an atheist, he doesn't believe in hell, anyway."  jms' reply was "Says
you.  I'm FROM New Jersey, lady..."