--- William T Goodall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> So the Scopes trial was a case of throwing out the
> baby with the bath
> water? I can see that people objecting to the
> nonsense of Social
> Darwinism could get it conflated with biological
> Darwinism, but I
> didn't know it actually happened. I thought Scopes
> was purely about the teaching of evolution in
school.

Weeel, there mighta been a teensy bit o' good ole
Southern grandstandin', don't ya know...  ;)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/monkeytrial/peopleevents/e_drugstore.html
"It began over cokes and phosphates in a drugstore in
Dayton, Tennessee. A little scheme to boost the local
economy exploded into the trial of the century. The
defendant wasn't even guilty -- but nobody cared.
After all, two of America's greatest orators were
coming to town. And the whole world was watching.

"The story of how the Scopes trial began -- as a
publicity stunt in a small town drugstore -- has
fascinated people for over 75 years...It was at
Robinson's drugstore in Dayton, Tennessee where, in
1925, a group of town boosters hatched one of the most
famous schemes in history, taking up an ACLU challenge
to try Tennessee's anti-evolution law. The group
believed a big trial would put their town on the map,
and they conceived their plan sitting around one of
Robinson's tables. According to historian Edward
Larson, "Those were the days of Prohibition so the
strongest thing they could drink was Coca-Cola!"...

"...Reporter H. L. Mencken had his own inimitable
opinion of the town and its famous drugstore. "It
would be hard to imagine a more moral town than
Dayton. ...There is no gambling. There is no place to
dance. The relatively wicked, when they would indulge
themselves, go to Robinson's drug store and debate
theology..."

Talk About Yer Snowballin' Maru   :)