On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:14:15 -0800 (PST), Gautam Mukunda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The problem is, neither do we.  In invading Iraq in
the manner we did,
without the support of the UN or even all of our
NATO allies, and with
little evidence that Hussain was involved in
terrorist attacks against the
West (and of course the complete lack of WMDs in
Iraq), we have invited
skepticism with respect to our motives.
Doug

Do you really think that anyone in Iraq cares if we involved the UN, or about WMDs, for that matter?

Yes. More importantly, if we had done it properly, external (to Iraq) support for the terrorists would be minimized. As it is (and as I stated before) we've created access for anti Americans throughout the world to attack us. Do you really think that all these attacks are being coordinated by Baathists alone?

The
ones who supported Hussein would support Hussein
regardless, yes?  Everyone else _really hated him_.

But you don't take into account that there are many that really hate us, however irrational and misplaced that hate is.

Even if the UN were involved, everyone in that part of
the world thinks the UN is just an American front when
it acts with us.  Why mirror image your concerns upon
the Iraqis?  I rather imagine that they are far more
concerned with getting rid of Saddam and establishing
public order and a stable state than whether or not
anyone finds WMDs in Iraq.

But what the Bush administration didn't take into account was the difficulty of establishing democracy in a country that has no tradition of democracy. As we see in recent news the Iraqi governing council is on the verge of being dissolved because they can't seem to make any decisions. Are they interested in public order and a stable state or are they interested in protecting their turf?

In any case I disagree that everyone in that part of the world thinks the UN is a US puppet. For one thing it's unlikely that the UN would be engaging in the kind of cronyism that the Bush administration is. For another, their motivations would not be as suspect as regards the oil reserves and related infrastructure.