--- "John D. Giorgis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snippage>
> What I find most amazing is that all you opponents
> of the war talked about
> how hard it would be to rebuild Iraq before the war,
> and many proponents of
> the war agreed - but argued that it would be harder
> for America to leave
> Saddam Hussein in power, with no way of really
> controlling his next move,
> and the always-imminent possibility that he might
> acquire nuclear weapons
> right underneath our noses the way the North Koreans
> did.    Anyhow, sure
> enough, rebuilding Iraq has been hard - and all you
> opponents of the war
> seem almost *shocked* by this development.

???  I think that many who opposed the war *as
prosecuted by the Bush Administration* were _not at
all_ shocked that things are tough...I frex was
surprised at how *little* initial resistance there
was.  Although it seems that non-Iraqis (?al Quada?)
are behind at least some of the current in-Iraq
attacks.

> How about being just a little-less defeatist about
> the inevitablility of
> our failures in Iraq - which I must say it almost
> looks like you are
> secretly hoping for?   Of course, you'd rather spend
> more time engaging in
> recriminations and bashing of the Bush
> Administration.

This is ridiculous - I don't know *anyone* who is
pleased with bodies coming back instead of live
soldiers.  Every couple of days there are sad stories
on the news about someone who won't be returning to
his family at Ft. Carson, or how a parent has chosen
to be AWOL to keep custody of her/his children.
However, the lack of WMDs capable of inflicting damage
on the US is rather gratifying -- if one forgets that
much public support for the war was based on the
presumed existence of such WMDs.

> Oh and in the vein of socio-political groups that do
> not criticize their
> own extremists - I would note that for all of the
> opponents of the war on
> this List and other List Members who talked about
> how important it was to
> have a "Marshall Plan" for Iraq - the silence
> regarding the Democratic-lead
> effort to make US aid to Iraq a "loan" instead of a
> grant was deafening.

<sigh>  Perhaps because the notion of a loan instead
of a grant seemed so obviously stupid?  (To be honest,
I didn't know that it was a Democrat-led movement.)
After all, nobody's yet commented about the Supreme
Court *finally* deciding to take the issue of the
Guantanamo Bay detainees under advisement (?is that
the correct term?), or the fact that Congress passed
the "Healthy Forests Initiative," which is supposed to
reduce fire danger in National Forests, and it
specifies the cutting of trees up to a foot in
diameter...which just happens to be what the lumber
industry 'needs' [it's underbrush that increases risk
of a simple fire - which is in fact part of the
natural lifecycle of a healthy forest - becoming a
raging conflagration, which can even sterilize the
soil], or that 'reducing fire danger' deep inside a
pristine forest won't affect any neighborhoods anyway.
 For that matter, what are *new* houses doing *inside*
a so-called National Forest?

IOW, I for one don't always comment on the vast
quantities of idiocy emerging from the government.

Debbi
who doesn't know if a Democrat proposed it, but in our
recent election we soundly defeated a proposal for the
city govt. to "increase peacefulness" (by pumping
'soothing' music into public buildings *at night,*
promoting mass meditations....the guy who managed to
get 2000 citizens to sign his petition must have been
personally quite persuative - or else canvassed the
bars!)   No, I am not making this up!