Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> > Because that seems to be normal group dynamics:
> > Isolate a group, treat
> > them with constant suspicion and act as if they are
> > all potential
> > terrorists and sooner, rather than later, there is a
> > ground swell of
> > support, within the same group, for the extremist
> > movements. I have seen
> > it happen in Kashmir, Punjab and the North-East.
> > An Irish friend of mine tells me that this is also
> > the pattern she saw
> > in Ireland.
>
> But, here are two potential problems.  One, we have a
> real security threat that has to be dealt with.
> India, despite its extended history of dealing with
> terrorism, has never faced anything remotely like the
> 9/11 attack, so we (the US) have one that is different
> in kind, as well as in scale, from that faced by other
> countries.

I agree with the statement that 9/11 was different in scale but what do
you mean when you say it was different in kind? It was a terrorist
attack, wasn't it? The attack was audacious and unprecedented, the
number of victims was more than in any other terrorist attack but what
else was so very different about 9/11?

I'm not sure but the para above seems to suggest that you are stating
that India, despite its problems with terrorism, doesn't face a real
security threat from the terrorists...are you saying/implying that? If
yes, would you care to elaborate?

> Second, _the support is already there_.  People in
> Muslim countries all over the world celebrated on
> September 11th.  I've seen the videotape, and so have
> most other people.

Sure the support is already there but it isn't as widespread as the
tactic I outlined above would make it. Andy has already asked but I'll
repeat the question here: how many muslims do you think celebrated 9/11?
I remember seeing video-tapes of muslims who were aghast at what had
happened. I remember most of the 120 million muslims of my country
speaking out against the atrocity.

> Opinion polls suggest that in much
> of the Islamic world, Osama Bin Laden is a popular and
> respected figure.

Well, in at least three countries he is the international figure they
trust the most to do the right thing. But these are the figures after
the Iraq war and I have no idea what the level of support was before
this war.
However, 3 countries still doesn't make it 'much of the Islamic world'.
Carry on with the current policies and it *would* be 'much of the
Islamic world'.

> So I am arguing that it's time to treat Muslims as
> moral actors - our moral equals.  They have the
> ability to make moral choices - to choose freedom over
> tyranny, peace over war, civilization over barbarism.
> Large portions of the Islamic world have chosen to
> support groups that use terrorism in the pursuit of
> the vilest ends (we're not, after all talking about
> the ANC here, which used terrorist tactics for
> fundamentally just ends.  We're talking about people
> who want to establish Taliban-like rule _over the
> entire world_.)

Are you suggesting that the ends justify the means, that Islamic
terrorism is so horrendous not because they target civilians but because
their end doesn't find favour in our eyes? I'll disagree with the
notion. Terrorism is terrorism, it is wrong and any clemency in judging
the terrorists because we might approve of their ends is counter
productive.

>  We certainly shouldn't accomodate it,
> make ourselves more vulnerable to it, or not impose
> consequences because of it when that choice impinges
> upon us.

Who's asking you to accommodate it or make yourselves more vulnerable to
it? All I am advocating is that *we* shouldn't make choices which
encourage the craziness.
There is a massive difference between the two. :)

> > Gautam, how many religio-political groups condemn
> > their own
> > lunatics/extremists loudly, clearly and constantly?
> > For that matter, how
> > many political organisations/groups do that?
> > Such criticism becomes even more rare when there is
> > a physical distance
> > between the atrocities and the groups. I can't
> > remember any Sikh groups
> > decrying the murder of innocents in movement for
> > Khalistan, can't think
> > of a single Hindu group which condemned the Gujarat
> > massacres last
> > year..........
>
> They they should be condemned for it.

They are condemned for it, if and when someone gets around to it, that
is. But just the particular groups who fail speak up, y'see, not the
entire communities.

> Saying nothing
> when a group commits barbarism in your name is the
> same thing as accepting it.

Um, not really. If you accept that the group speaks for you, then and
only then, are you guilty of endorsing their actions through your
silence. If you consider the group to be a bunch of lunatics, you do not
usually assume that their actions reflect on you and your morality.

Let's look at 9/11 as an example: OBL, born in Saudi Arabia, trained and
supported by the US for years, suddenly launches a horrific terrorist
attack on the WTC. He decries the Great Satan and calls the death of
innocents a 'victory for Allah'. Why would a normal
Indian/Chinese/Malaysian/Bangladeshi muslim assume that if s/he doesn't
speak out loud and clear, and keeps on speaking until s/he receives
equivalent media attention, people sitting elsewhere in the world would
start to wonder if s/he has enough humanity and decency to object to
infants being the targets of terrorism? What's it got to do with them?
Who appointed OBL their official spokesperson? Last I checked, OBL heads
a terrorist organisation, not a country or a people.

Agreed his guilt is staggering, but why does it have to be spread out
amongst those who have never had anything to do with him? How did they
earn a share in that guilt? Merely by an accident of birth to Muslim
parents?

> As Dan pointed out,
> plenty of groups _do_, in fact, condemn extremists who
> use violence supposedly in their cause.  We in the US
> see it all the time - so often, in fact, that it can
> become a fairly major scandal when a group doesn't do
> that.

The world isn't the US. So perhaps it would be more practical to pay
attention to how things happen elsewhere in the world, understand what
the pattern means and tailor your actions to influence those patterns in
the desired directions.
Outright vocal condemnation is undoubtedly more emotionally satisfying
but in the end, it would hinder your struggle to render yourself more
secure.

> Furthermore, it's one thing to fail to condemn, say,
> the Earth Liberation Front when it burns down a ski
> lodge.  That's bad, and when environmental groups fail
> to do that it's a problem.  It's another when Muslim
> organizations the world over justify the slaughter of
> innocents in Israel.

I agree. It's incredibly irritating when people think that violence
against innocents can be justified by ends but the thing is, I find it
equally bad whether it is the muslim organisations who try to justify
the suicide bombings in Israel, or Modi talking about Nuclear's laws of
thermodynamics and 'hindu rage', basically anybody trying to claim that
civilians may be 'rightfully' [or at least excusably] attacked to
further any kind of an end or goal.

> But we see that over and over
> again.  If Catholic terrorists were killing protestant
> children and the Vatican didn't condemn them, I would
> have a big problem with that.  But the Vatican _did_
> condemn the IRA.  By contrast, over and over again
> prominent Muslim clerics consistently excuse and
> promote even viler terorrism against civilians all the
> time.

True. Some muslim clerics do that. And sometimes their congregation
hates them for it. In the days after 9/11, the Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid
[India's largest mosque, built by Shahjahan] praised OBL in one of his
Friday sermons. The muslims first yelled at him and told him to take
back his words, and when he refused to do so, they stoned him and
encircled him within his house until the police came to disperse the
mob. He has been rather careful with his utterances since then. :)

> If they turend against the terrorists, the
> terrorists would lose much of their popular support.

A lot of muslim clerics do speak out against the terrorists - for the
most recent example, look at how the Iraqi clerics are talking of the
violence in Iraq. Some would *never* speak out because they are the ones
who *foster* the notion of jihad in their madrassas and masjids. There
is after all a strong mullah-madrassa-terrorist nexus, for certain
values of the word 'mullah'.

> But they will only do so when they have a reason to do
> so, and only the outside world can try to create that
> reason. When we fail to make demands on the Muslim
> world - when we constantly excuse them from making
> demands and choices like this, we act as enablers for
> what is rapidly becoming a culture-wide pathology.

"when we constantly excuse them from making demands and choices like
this" - like how?

> > Has the Muslim world ever stood up and said that the
> > blowing up of
> > Jewish infants is a good/acceptable idea? If yes,
> > then it is certainly
> > their responsibility to refute the statement and
> > make whatever amends
> > possible. If not, then do you think they might
> > resent our assumption
> > that all of them lack the basic humanitarian
> > instincts to be repulsed by
> > the death of infants?
>
> Quite a few very prominent and important Muslim
> clerics _do_ routinely support the terrorists.  But
> even many of those who do not consistently fail to
> condemn them.  It keeps happening, over and over
> again, and too much of the Muslim world keeps failing
> to condmen it.

Failure to condemn something isn't necessarily an endorsement of the
actions. If the world starts to operate on the the assumption that it
does, we'd all be too busy condemning others to ever do anything
productive.

Look at it from another angle: civilians, adults and children, are being
killed in Iraq by coalition soldiers. The Iraqi body count puts the
numbers between 7840 and 9668. There doesn't seem to be any outcry or
condemnation of these numbers [or deaths] by the coalition govts. All
one sees is politics - 'Did X lie?... What did he know?... This proves
that Y knew about this...quagmire or not....the reconstruction package
as loan or outright gift?..'
These incidents keep on happening over and over again and even those
citizens of the coalition countries who didn't support the war
consistently fail to condemn this loss of lives. In fact, much of the
'coalition world' keeps failing to condemn these deaths.....

Does that necessarily mean that the good decent people of US, UK,
Poland, Thailand, Australia etc. lack the necessary humanitarian
instincts to feel revulsed/saddened by these deaths?
I certainly don't think so and if you agree with me, perhaps you could
consider extending the same benefit of a doubt to normal, decent
muslims....?

> So after a while, maybe their
> resentment isn't an issue any more, because it starts
> to become a real question about those basic
> humanitarian instincts.

Their resentment would *always* remain an issue unless someone has the
stomach to exterminate one-sixth of the world's population. If you don't
think you can do that, then you better start thinking in terms of
lowering resentments on both sides.

> As long as the moderate majority of the Muslim world
> that we keep hearing about refuses to turn against the
> extremists, then maybe they _aren't_ repulsed by the
> massacre of infants.  There aren't many signs that
> they are.  So they don't have any grounds for
> resentment.

So how many muslim countries have you lived in to check if there are
signs of the aforementioned revulsion? How many polls can you cite where
the question of the repulsion factor of killing infants was rated as
zero by the muslim respondents who took the poll?
Any studies which have made a determination of these attitudes and can
give the general stats about the prevalence of the same?
Or do you judge grounds of resentment the way certain people go : PNAC,
War in Iraq -> all Americans are murderous imperialists?

> Again, people outside keep acting as
> enablers.  Self-examination is hard.  You have to have
> a good reason to do it.  As long as the outside world
> keeps removing any reasons for that self-examination,
> it won't happen.

Umm, what makes you think that self-examination is facilitated by
constant criticism and perceptions of extreme threat? I have always
found that people are infinitely touchier and more prone to dumping all
the blame on the 'other' in such situations.

<snip>
> But the reason Buckley did it was because no one was
> out there saying it wasn't conservatives
> responsibility to police their own movement and
> protecting them from the consequence of sheltering the
> lunatic fringe.  It was because American society gave
> conservatives the choice of change or defeat and
> irrelevance that the change happened.

Do you see any difference between political parties and terrorist
organisations in terms of modus operandi and objectives? If you do, you
can see the problems with the example you cite above.
I would agree that tracing and neutralising the terrorists would be far
easier if one had the co-operation of all the non-terrorist muslims but
such co-operation is usually not won through blanket condemnations,
suspicion and derision. If you really do want the muslim majority to
speak/act out against the terrorists, you'll need to give them a better
incentive than dismissing their resentments out of hand and doubting
their humanitarian credentials.
And, no, bombing them back into the stone age would not count as a
better incentive.

> > >  We are the ones _being_ attacked, not the
> > > ones doing the attacking.  Episcopalians aren't
> > > launching suicide bombing campaigns.  It seems to
> > me
> > > that the burden to prove bona fides should rest on
> > the
> > > other side of the scales right now.
> >
> > Who's 'we': A country? A religious group?
> > Non-muslims?
> > Who's on the other side of the scales: muslims?
> > Extremists? Terrorists?
>
> At the moment it's pretty much the non-Muslim world,
> everywhere it comes into contact with the Muslim one,
> be it the Israel, the US, India, China, or Russia
> (with varying degrees of legitimate grievance on the
> part of the Muslim world).  Islam's bloody borders, in
> Sam Huntington's very apt phrase.  On the other side
> are what people in the blogger world have accurately
> named Islamofascists - radical Islamic groups seeking
> to impose radical Islamic rule over, first, Islamic
> societies, and then the rest of the world.

Thanks for the answer. Now I have a one more question: If Islamofascists
are on the other side, then who is to prove their credentials? These
idiots have already shown what they stand for many times over. Asking
them to prove their bonafides is the same as asking them to stage more
attacks.
One minor point though: In India, at least, the muslims are very much a
part of the people being attacked. We have Islamic terrorism mainly in
Kashmir and since most of the Hindus left the valley more than a decade
ago, these terrorists end up targetting muslims as often as any other
group.

> Note - not the _outcome_ of the war.  The outcome of
> the war is pretty much pre-ordained.  If this becomes
> a full-scale war of civilizations (which is what Bin
> Laden wants, after all), then the _outcome_ is that at
> the end, we win.  Period.

You are far more sanguine than me in this matter, Gautam. I am not so
certain that a full scale war of civilizations would inevitably end in
western victory. Even if you are right and the west does win, it would
be a pyrrhic victory at best.
And yes, you are right, OBL does want a full scale war between
civilizations. What I don't understand is why Bush seems hell-bent upon
co-operating with him.

> But it can end happily for
> the Muslim world - with Muslim countries free,
> democratic, and wealthy.  Or it can end unhappily -
> with the Islamic world effectively destroyed by
> Western military power.

The latter is a very dangerous delusion on your part. Oh, I am not
saying that the US doesn't have the arsenal to bomb the muslim countries
back to the stone age but how many countries can you attack at one time?
Who would be covering your flanks while you go ahead and launch this
war? Anyway, you wouldn't be able to kill every single muslim in those
countries. Every single survivor would be out for your blood then. And
what are you going to do about the muslim population in the non-muslim
countries? Start a conflagration that huge, in the name of religion, and
they wouldn't care if their country is attacked or not - they would want
revenge. The Indian muslims and the Chinese muslims and the American
muslims.....Is the US going to attack India and China? Turn against its
own citizens? What are you going to do about the Pakistani nukes?

Is the US going to go alone in this war of civilizations? If not, how
are you going to convince the rest of the West to join in?

> Which one of those happens is
> a product of choices on the part of the Islamic
> "moderates" as to whether to support the
> Islamofascists or not.  Right now, they haven't made
> the choice.  But the longer they are protected _from_
> making that choice, the more they will do what they do
> now - tacitly accept the actions of the extremists
> without taking any actions to stop them.  And the
> longer they do that, the higher the chances that it
> will end in that terrible conflagaration.

Which one of the above happens is also dependent upon the choices made
by the non-Islamic world. If we can resist the urge to polarise the
world any further, if we stop with the policies which make people think
that the war on terror is actually a war on Islam, if we can stop
couching this fight in religious terms, we have better chances of
marginalising the terrorists.
If we don't get diverted by other plans and focus on curbing the funding
for terrorists, restricting their access to weapons etc, we stand an
even better chance of neutralising and  apprehending the terrorists.

> > As for the burden of proving the bona-fides, well
> > what bona-fides do you
> > want them to prove?
> > When did they lose their claim to these bona-fides?
> > Who are they
> > supposed to prove the same to?
> > Also, what would consitute sufficient proof?
>
> To the people being attacked in their name. I want
> them to prove that they _do not_ want to convert the
> entire world to Islam by force, that they reject those
> who do want to do that, and that they will help us
> defeat those who do want that.

But I thought you said that the people on the other side are the
Islamo-fascists. And they carry on the attacks themselves and *do* want
to convert the entire world to Islam by force. They are neither going to
condemn themselves nor help anyone defeat themselves.
Are you sure you aren't getting confused between normal muslims and
Islamo-fascists?

You have to choose, Gautam: who's on the other side: all the muslims or
Islamo-fascists? If it is the latter, then the lines above do not make
any sense. If it is the former, then my response is two-fold:

1] The US had that support post 9/11 and it was frittered away on the
war on Iraq. I think that is a pity, especially since my country has
never enjoyed that kind of a support against terrorism and I was hoping
to see a sensible, coherent global policy against the menace of
terrorism.
2] On a  more personal level, having lost family and friends to muslim
terrorists, I'll presume to count myself amongst those who have been
attacked by the same. From that perspective, I am strongly opposed to
the notion of having random muslims on the streets feel that they need
to prove their lack of support for terrorists to me. I find the notion
of group guilt reprehensible and I'll have no part in it.

> They lost that claim
> when 40 years of Islamic terrorism produced support or
> acceptance, not rejection on the part of large parts
> of the Muslim world.  Sufficient proof would be these
> societies turning on the terrorists, rejecting them
> rhetorically (no more claims that 9/11 was a Jewish
> conspiracy), rejecting them financially (no more
> financial support for Al Qaeda), rejecting them in
> every way and shape until the terrorist organizations
> have been destroyed.

Ah, you mean a consistent social, political and economical boycott of
the terrorists. Just the way we, the non-muslims, have consistently
marginalised and boycotted the terrorist organisations and their
supporting nations over the last few decades.
We all know where the majority of the funding for the Al-Qaeda comes
from today and of course, no humanitarian country in the world has any
ties, economic and diplomatic, with the country which funds this nasty
organisation. We all know which countries provide training facilities
for terrorists and, of course, no decent non-muslim country offers any
economic and military aid to these terrorist-breeding countries.
Yup, our [non-muslim] response has been incredibly consistent on this
issue over the last 4 decades and if only the muslim world would follow
our lead, the problem would be wiped out in next few years....

> This war will be decided within the Muslim world.  We
> in the outside world need to stop being enablers of
> the pathologies that have allowed the terrorists to
> flourish so far.

Yes, let us stop being the enablers - let's stop training and funding
lunatics, let's stop supporting repressive regimes just because they
better suit our strategic needs, let's stop attacking their countries on
the flimsiest of pretexts, let's stop supporting and praising dictators
while the 'silent muslim majority' keeps on marching and asking for
democracy, let's make it abundantly clear that we possess the
discernment needed to distinguish between terrorists and the people who
merely share a religion with the same.
Let us not isolate them, push their backs against the metaphorical wall
and ask them to sort out a problem we helped create before we treat them
as humans. Instead, let us abjure these polarisations, cast no slurs on
their character and *ask* them for their help in tracking down the
horrible people who think violence is a good answer to political
problems.

> As long as the outside world
> continues to do so, the Muslim "moderates" will not
> act, because they won't have any incentive to do so.

Oh, I think you're mistaken here. The Muslim moderates seem to have
strong incentive to want curbs on the fundamentalist school of thought.
After all, it is their children who fall victim to these skewed
philosophies, their societies which are the first to suffer from this
phenomenon.
Take Pakistan for example, the CIA and ISI collected the mad mullahs in
the 80s and started the Taliban madrassas. The process of Talibanisation
carried on in different parts of Pakistan and the desired outcome was
soon seen in Afghanistan.ISI too saw the desired outcome in Kashmir. But
the moderate muslims in Pakistan were horrified then and are even more
worried now. The madrassas still exist, y'see, nobody thought of
dismantling them. So they still spread their message of hatred and
violence. Frequent coups, rampant corruption and you end up with a
country where the only free/affordable education for the non-rich comes
from these madrassas.
If you think the normal citizens of Pakistan are happy to see their kids
go to the madrassas and turn into foaming-at-the-mouth terrorists you
are wrong. I have seen mothers of toddlers say that sometimes they pray
that India would just nuke Pakistan - at least they would all die
together and be spared the sight of seeing their children fall prey to
the madness being preached and practiced. 'Better that they die than
that they live to kill others', that is what these mothers say while
looking on at their children.
I don't know about you, but I can neither doubt their humanitarian
credentials nor the level of their helplessness and despair.

So I'd say that the muslim moderates already have enough incentive to
want to stop this madness. These are the people we need to help and the
way to help them is not by blaming them or bombing them or telling them
that it is their problem and they need to solve it before we even
entertain the possibility that they might be human after all.

Imho, the way to help them is by stop helping their enemies, the people
who establish and propagate the fundamentalist madrassas, people who
silence any sane opposition and leave only the nutcases talking. So
perhaps Mushy can be asked to do something about the madrassas, perhaps
Mushy can be asked to hurry up the re-democratisation of Pakistan and
stop throwing his political opponents in jail. Mushy claims to be an
ally of US in TWAT - perhaps he can be asked to ensure that Al-Qaeda is
at least declared a terrorist organisation in Pakistan.....

> Our responsibility is to stop being enablers.  Since
> September 11th of 2001, the US and its allies have
> taken up that responsibility.  It's time for the rest
> of the world to do the same.

Who are the allies of the US in this context?
Is the rest of the world the same as Islamic world or are we talking of
yet another group?

Ritu
GCU Prepared For The Deluge