On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 05:54:38AM -0800, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> Because we are _at war_.  We didn't give German POWs

Yeah, right, Gautam. I won't even bother to argue the at war point,
which is laughable, but that you would argue that human rights should be
ignored during war is just sad.

> Yet the American government is supposed to worry about the rights of
> _Americans_ first.  That's its job.  I

Of course it is, but not by stamping on the rights of everyone else. The
means justify the ends doesn't hold water when the ends and the means
are not drastically different in human rights abuses employed.

> suppose that you, Erik, would have nice public trials on all of these
> guys, with lawyers, and published transcripts, and maybe the names and
> faces of CIA informants published?

I don't know what a "nice" trial is, but the prisoners should receive
the same right to a fair a speedy trial that all people are entitled to.
Innocent until proven guilty, you may have forgotten in your war on all
non-Americans zeal.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/