--- Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But, you just said that you preferred military
> justice.  So is your
> position also in opposition to the governments, and
> are you willing to take
> the risk of a military court setting AQ operatives
> free?

> Dan M.

Eventually, yes.  I'd like to see the government set a
time limit (I would accept a quite long one, as long
as there is one) on how long we can hold people before
they establish the tribunal, and then actually run
them.  I think the problem with that is that the
tribunals will actually draw much more international
criticism than simply holding people, so the
Administration is (understandably) reluctant to launch
them.

The problem is that from what we know about Al Qaeda,
most (not all, almost certainly) of the people there
are incredibly dangerous, in a way that normal
criminals simply are not.  We normally say (I believe
quoting Thomas Jefferson) that it's better to let 10
guilty men go free than keep one innocent man in jail.
 The problem in this situation is that, given the
scale of the threat involved, _that's not true in this
situation_.  Another way to look at that is, would you
let 100 guilty men free before putting one innocent
man in jail?  1000?  10,000?  At some point you have
to put a limit.  We have a criminal justice system,
after all.  It is a numerical certainty that there are
some number of innocent men in jail in American
prisons right now.  The only way to ensure that is not
the case is to release every single one of them.
Anyone want to do that?  No?  Then we need to think,
not emote.  Everyone in Guantanamo Bay is suspected of
being the most dangerous type of person imaginable -
far more dangerous than a serial killer.  Most of
them, it is fair to presume, are correctly identified
this way (we didn't put every person we captured in
Afghanistan there - in fact, there are only a few
hundred people there and we captured thousands in
Afghanistan and could have captured thousands more had
we chosen to, so it's only a small fraction, and the
sorting presumably was not random).  Some of them are
people who had the exceptional bad luck to be in the
wrong place at the wrong time.  Some (hopefully all,
but there's no way to know, and no system is likely to
do that perfectly) of those people have already been
released.

We need the tribunals for two reasons.  The first
because it seems clear to me that not everyone in
Guantanamo had anything to do with Al Qaeda - although
the government seems already to have released several
people, so it seems likely that those released were
the ones who just got vacuumed up in the initial
sweep.  But we need to filter them out.  The second is
that it is the only way to have some semblance of due
process for the rest of those captured.  But we
shouldn't kid ourselves about the way the tribunals
will work.  The judge, jury, and _defense attorney_
will all be US military officers.  Most of the
evidence used _will not be shown to the defendants_.
The witnesses (if any) will be subject to
cross-examination if present, but most of them will
not be present, and most will not be identified to the
defendant.  Discussions between the defense attorney
and their client will not be confidential (although
those discussions will not be admissible in court).
There probably won't be any rules of evidence that we
recognize from civilian courts.  Under those
circumstances, we'll basically be relying on the
fairness of the judge and jury to ensure a good
outcome.  Now, these are serving military officers who
will have sworn an oath to present fair and impartial
justice.  That's a very strong thing to rely upon -
I'm pretty confident that such a trial would do fairly
well.  But it won't be a civilian court.  The bias in
favor of the defendant wouldn't be nearly as high.

That would satisfy the confidentiality requirements
and still do a very good job of sorting the innocent
from the guilty.  That seems to me to be what the
government has in mind.  Eventually.  I understand
Rumsfeld's statement about holding people permanently,
and legally he's actually on pretty clear ground.  If
the Second World War had gone on indefinitely, that's
exactly what would have happened to POWs.  And, again,
people captured in Afghanistan have _fewer_ rights
than POWs.  They aren't protected by the Geneva
Conventions.  They're really not protected by anything
except the good graces of the American government.

The issue is demobilization.  We could release German
POWs after the war because Germany was demobilized.
They would go back home to their families and live
relatively normal lives.  Al Qaeda hasn't even been
defeated yet, but eventually it will be.  Its members,
though, are never going to be demobilized.  They don't
need (heck, they don't have right now) formal
structures to continue to be dangerous.  This is an
entirely new problem.  No one, so far as I am aware,
has dealt with anything much like this under a
democratic framework.  The British used the SAS as
assassination squads in part because they didn't know
how to deal with a problem much less severe (the IRA
is not made up of suicide squads, after all).  India's
record in Sri Lanka with the Tamil Tigers might be a
precedent, I guess, but the Indians weren't all that
big on prisoners, either, IIRC, and they had the Sri
Lankan government to help with the issue.  India's
record in Khalistan and Kashmir is so horrendous that
we definitely don't want to take any lessons from
there.

Our closest parallel, as I think about it, is probably
Israel.  Anyone know more about the situation there
than I do?  I believe that the Israelis do, in fact,
hold people indefinitely without trial for pretty much
the reasons that I have articulated.  Of course, the
Israelis also allowed torture under exigent
circumstances (defined _very_ loosely) up until last
year.  I'm not comfortable with that (although read
Mark Bowden's article in _The Atlantic_ for a
description of the parameters of what we probably do,
and should, allow).  They have a better record than
India, though, and a threat comparable to or worse
than ours.

So we have one precedent for what a liberal democracy
faced with a serious threat has done, and the answer
is (I believe), pretty much what we have done, except
more.  This isn't terribly surprising.  I tend to
believe that any decent government, faced with the
problem that we currently face, would probably end up
at about the same place.  There aren't any good or
easy answers in this situation.  All we really know is
that our ordinary way of doing things isn't going to
work.

Think about torture, for example.  Should we allow
torture?  First, how would you define torture,
exactly?  See that Atlantic article again for some
thoughts on the topic.  But I would argue that no form
of coercion is acceptable in normal civilian criminal
prosecutions.  I'm actually fairly strict on this in
civilian rules - although I am a tentative opponent of
the exclusionary rule, I believe that all police
interrogations should be videotaped, and the videotape
should be shown to the jury in any trial.  Given the
tactics the police use in normal civilian
interrogations, I believe that this would make
convictions much more difficult.

But.  In Germany recently a child kidnapper was
threatened with torture by a police lieutenant in
order to get him to reveal the location of a kidnapped
child.  He did reveal it, although the child was dead
when they found him.  Imagine yourself in the place of
that lieutenant.  The clock is ticking (I believe the
child was a diabetic, something like that).  You have
this person, who knows where he is.  And he won't
talk.  _What would you do?_  Are these special
circumstances?  Would you do what that German police
officer did?  Would you go farther, if the threat
didn't work?  Would you actually torture him?  If you
don't, the child dies.  If you do, you're a torturer.
This isn't a hypothetical, remember, this _really
happened_ not that long ago.

OK.  The Israelis allowed torture under "exigent
circumstances".  By which they meant a ticking bomb.
So, you have a Hamas terrorist in your hands.  (This
is hypothetical only to the extent that we can't put
names and dates to the situation - we know for certain
that it does happen).  Or, more accurately, you have
someone whom you have very good reason to believe is a
Hamas terrorist in your hands.  You know that,
somewhere in Israel, a suicide bomber is going
towards, say, a kindergarten playground, and this man
knows who and where he is.  And he won't answer your
questions.  What do you do?  Do you use torture?  That
was actually legal in Israel under the circumstances
until very recently.

Now, what would you do?  Having asked, I have a
responsibility to answer the question.  I'm not sure
what my answer is, though, and I think anyone who is
sure, without being put in the position of having to
make the decision, is either lying or too shallow to
be paid attention to.  I've spent a lot of time
thinking about what I would be willing to do.  I think
the answer is, I agree with the German lieutenant in
his position.  I would make the threat, but I don't
think I could carry it out if the threat didn't work.
One life - even a child's life - just can't justify
the use of torture.

But the Israeli position is harder.  If you condone
torture, you damn well better be willing to do it with
your own hands.  I don't know.  Intellectually, I
think I have to agree with the Israeli position (as it
is now) and not the Israeli position as it used to be.
 The position as it is now is that, in that situation,
torture is clearly illegal.  But it probably will be
used.  It should _be_ illegal - torture is something
that no civilized society can countenance.  But, the
fact that it is illegal doesn't mean that it isn't
used.  What do Israelis in that position tend to do?
Well, from what I can tell, they tend to use torture
(mild torture, generally, if there can be said to be
any such thing) and accept that they might be
prosecuted for it.  I think that's correct.  If you're
willing to use it, you should be willing to go to jail
because you chose to use it.  The issue must be that
important.

In either case, though, we've gone well past what's
allowed under normal procedures.  So we have to
acknowledge that there are situations in the world
that normal civil procedure just doesn't imagine.  We
are trapped in one of those situations right now.  The
rules are going to have to bend.  The key is to figure
out how to bend them the least, and how to make sure
that, outside of these unique situations, the bending
doesn't spread.

The answer to your question, Dan, is that I pretty
much agree with the government's position as I
understand it.  We need to be able to hold
non-citizens for quite a while, just as we would have
during the Second World War.  The fighting in Iraq and
Afghanistan is not even over, so the state of war in
the countries where we captured them is still going
on.  Eventually we will have to use military tribunals
to sift through the remaining prisoners.  Until then
we should use administrative procedures as quickly and
thoroughly as possible to release those we are holding
now who are no longer a threat (which we appear to be
doing).  That's what it seems to me the government
currently intends to do.  Rumsfeld's statement, it
appears to me, was mainly meant to buy time to allow
this process to sort itself out.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]