On 13 Dec 2003, at 1:42 am, Steve Sloan II wrote:

William T Goodall wrote:

> I read somewhere that Asimov had a humans-only universe to
> sidestep that editorial requirement. Then wrote _The Gods
> Themselves_ (with aliens) after JWC's death.

That's also what I remember reading. In fact, it was this
very subject that first got me on Brin-L. I read a comment
on Hector's web site wondering why Asimov used an all-human
Galaxy, and I emailed him that answer. He invited me onto
his new David Brin list, and the rest is history. :-)

And Campbell's strict, and increasingly cranky, editorial views led hard sf into a ghetto by the late 60's. Meanwhile under Horace Gold's editorship the satirical and left-wing Galaxy published Frederik Pohl, Alfred Bester, Damon Knight, Fritz Leiber, Robert Sheckley...

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Misuse of IMPs leads to strange, difficult-to-diagnose bugs.
- Anguish et al. "Cocoa Programming"