----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Tarr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: Science Fiction In Music

At 12:06 AM 12/23/2003, you wrote:
>>A message for Kevin for tomorrow!

>And what a short turn around it is.

Treaties
>> > being my favorite album. (But I'll admit to not knowing Black
Blade, >>>never
>> > heard of it).
>>
>>Black Blade is on Cultasaurus Erectus along with Joan Crawford Has
>>Risen
> >From The Grave.
>>If you like BOC, you are gonna love Black Blade. Its absolutely one
of the
>>best pieces the band ever created. Buck Dharma's guitar smokes all
>>over the
>>song.

>Well, I had CE when it came out all those years ago. I don't know any
of
>the songs on it now, I never got it on tape or CD. Joan Crawford is
on Fire
>of Unknown Origin, the same one that has Sole Survivor.

Oops....you are right....my goof!

>> >How does a band from New York City end up writing such messed
>> > up lyrics?
>>
>>They write better song titles than lyrics.<G>
>>Actually, I think the quality of their lyrics has improved greatly
over the
>>years.
>>But I agree that on the first three albums they could be pretty bad.
>>

>Woah Nelly! I didn't mean messed up as bad. (And not trying to put
down
>Deep Purple with this example). Just compare Highway Star to:

[Snip Examples for brevity]

I was thinking more along the lines of:

My heart is black and my lips are cold
Cities on flame with rock and roll
Three thousand guitars
They seem to cry
My ears will melt and then my eyes

Let the girl, let that girl rock and roll
Cities on flame, now, with rock and roll

and

OD'd on life, life itself
OD'd on life itself, OD'd on life itself the power of powers and once
luminous spell
OD'd on life, life itself
OD'd on life itself, OD'd on life itself crumpled like grave cloths
and hipped to the help and you've.
OD'd on life itself

and

Canadian Mounted, baby
Police force at work
Red and Black
It's their color scheme
Get their man
In the end

It's all right it's all right
It's all right it's all right
It's all right ah, yeah my honeys know it's all right
It's all right it's all right
It's all right it's all right
It's all right ah, yeah baby knows it's all right
You'd kill, you'd maim ah, c'mon kill 'em
You'd kill, you'd maim look out

OTOH, BOC uses some imagery that I am quite fond of:

Riding the underground
Swimming in sweat
A rumble above and below
Hey cop don't you know
The heat's on all right
The hot summer day didn't quit for the night

1277 express to heaven
Speeding along like dynamite
1277 express to heaven
Rumbles the steel like a dogfight
You caught me in its spell
Trying to leave but you know darn well
The heat from below can burn your eyes out

Blackened out eyes
Scratched on the wall
Stoned out looks from the crowd
The king will not know
On the wall it was said
The flash of his cards was sprayed with red

xponent
Rumbles The Steel Maru
rob