Doug Pensinger wrote:

> David Hobby wrote:
>
> >       I believe Player of Games is one of the best, certainly
> > the best "first book".  Use of Weapons is probably best, but be
> > warned, it's not a cheery book.  The rest are all good, but I was
> > not too impressed with Look to Windward, it seemed derivative.
>
> Derivative?  Not sure what you mean.

        Nothing too much that was new.  Mostly more of the same-old
stuff.  (Yawn.)

> > Depends--what exactly IS a git?  The best definition I can
> > produce is "one who intentionally refuses to think"...
>
>   a foolish or worthless person (http//www.m-w.com)

        That's a dictionary definition.  I've read a few.  They
give one the general sense of the word, but don't really settle
what Horza is.  He really seems to be balanced on the knife-edge
between git and not git.
        If one acts foolishly for idealistic reasons, is one
really a git?  Probably not.  But add that one's ideals are
not quite consistent, and one is quite possibly a git.
        I give up--the Brits can argue this one out.

                                        ---David