Doug Pensinger wrote:

> David Hobby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >       Nothing too much that was new.  Mostly more of the same-old
> > stuff.  (Yawn.)
>
> Oh I don't know, Chelegrans, behemothaurs, pylon country as well as a more
> in depth look at a lot of the stuff that he'd only touched on briefly made
> it interesting to me.  That and an introspective look at the Culture - all
> is not perfect.  One thing; Banks can end a book gracefully - satisfyingly
> and I thought the ending of this one was a good piece of work.

        Yes.  It was well done, and fleshed some things out.  But
it still feels weak, compared to the others.

> >>   a foolish or worthless person (http//www.m-w.com)
> >
> >       That's a dictionary definition.  I've read a few.  They
> > give one the general sense of the word, but don't really settle
> > what Horza is.  He really seems to be balanced on the knife-edge
> > between git and not git.
> >       If one acts foolishly for idealistic reasons, is one
> > really a git?  Probably not.  But add that one's ideals are
> > not quite consistent, and one is quite possibly a git.
> >       I give up--the Brits can argue this one out.
>
> Well, Horza may have been wrong from our point of view and from the
> Culture's point of view, but he thought he was right, he was good (as in
> skilled), and he had some pretty cool tricks.  And hey, don't forget his
> species was all but extinct so there was some measure of desperation
> involved.

        Surely believing that one is right is not enough to avoid
being a git?  Neither is being skilled, is it?
        As for his species being close to extinction, doesn't that
provide more evidence of his being a git?  He shouldn't be
chasing minds in tunnels if he's worried about his kind dying
out.  Most of the galaxy was not involved--he should have got
out of the combat zone.  : )

> Definitely not a git, IMO. 8^)

                                        ---David

Anatomy of a git