In a message dated 2/16/2004 11:19:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> If they honestly
> believe that tax cuts (for example) are good for most
> Americans, then using American values to justify them
> is an honest (and effective) rhetorical argument.
> Again, the problem you're running into is why the
> modern left finds it so difficult to invoke American
> values as something to be proud of.  In conservative
> circles, "we shouldn't do this because it's not the
> American way" is an extraordinarily powerful argument.

So when Ashcroft and the administration attempt to abrogate basic citizens
rights that have existed for a long time that is "the american way"?  When
Ashcroft accuses anyone who disagrees of being anti-american, this is the
american way? Come on Gautam. As to taxes,  this is a economic decision. What
does the tax cut have to the american way. As you have so eloquently stated,
americans can honestly disagree about these issues. So why does one side feel
it has the right to declare its way the american way.