----- Original Message -----
From: "John D. Giorgis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 7:33 AM
Subject: Re: Thoughts on gay marriage?

> I also have to believe that part of the difference is in
> the perceived legitimacy of the way those decisions were made.   The
Civil
> Rights Act was passed by Congress and signed into law by Lyndon B.
Johnson
> under the authority of the 14th Amendment which was also passed and
debated
> under the appropriate Constitutional processes.   Roe vs. Wade on the
other
> hand was handed down by an unelected judiciary via a court case the
defense
> thought they couldn't possibly lose, and with little national debate.

You are too young to remember all the "impeach Earl Warren" bumper
stickers.  The poster child for conservative judicial activism was "Brown
vs. Board of Education."

> Thus, what I think is happening today is that a lot of people are very
> scared and surprised by the prospect of an unelected judiciary imposing a
> radical reinterpretation of the social order without the proper level of
> democratic debate on the subject.    After all, let's face it, the
primary
> impetus behind most of these new laws and behind all of this talk of
> Constitutional amendments, is the prospect of judicial decisions like
those
> in Massachusetts.   (And the one in Massachusetts seems particularly
> egregious in my mind because of the inherent time delays required in
> amending the Massachusetts State Constitution, thus creating the
> possibility for the ludicrous result that Massachusetts will have gay
> marriages for the next two years, until the State Constitutional
amendment
> goes through - as currently seems likely.)  In other words, opposition to
> homosexual marriage is not "being promoted as the one thing that will
save
> our society from inevitable moral and social decay."   There was no great
> and successful push to do so until the past year or two.   Indeed, this
> issue hardly existed at all in the most recent Presidential Election.
> Rather, opposition to homosexual marriage is gaining traction in this
> country precisely because of the prospect that without this opposition,
> homosexual marriages will happen without a debate and without a vote.

But, at the same time, civil unions faced overwhelming opposition until
just recently.  Several years ago, it was a radical position.  Right after
the the Mass. court ruling, a conservative Virginia legislative body
approved civil unions.
  Or at least only as far as the
> Constitutional amendment to ban abortion.    And I think I've made it
clear
> as to why I think that has changed.

> Thus, right now, I can't help but think that the best case scenario for
the
> pro-homosexual marriage side that the worst consequence of taking their
> fight out of the legislatures and into the Court rooms is that they
create
> a very large and vocal anti-homosexual minority that nevertheless can
never
> quite summon the requisite votes to overturn the status quo - i.e.
> analogous to the modern pro-life movement.

Why not civil rights, it started the same way.  Indeed, the initial data
supports that.