John wrote:

At 01:14 PM 2/19/2004 -0600 Dan Minette wrote:
Why not civil rights, it started the same way.  Indeed, the initial data
supports that.

I certainly was aware of the "Impeach Earl Warren" Movement when I made my
post, and I certainly don't mean to imply that there is a single difference
that produced the differing outcomes of the civil rights movement and the
abortion movement.

Still, I do think that legislative legitimacy is important, and despite the
occasional Supreme Court decision on this issue, like Brown vs. Board, the
key decisions in the Civil Rights Movement were ultimately taken by
Legislatures, and thus had a bit of legitimacy too them.

In my mind, however, the track of the homosexual marriage movement is much
more closely following the track of the abortion movement than the track of
the civil rights movement.

I would argue the opposite, especially considering that same sex marriage _is_ a civil rights issue.

One salient point might be that younger people are generally in favor of same sex marriage whereas older people are generally against it, so you would expect that in a few years opposition would probably fade away. I doubt this is the case with abortion.

--
Doug

Back in circulation....