----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Edmunds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: This Is Spinal Ta-, er, Metallica

> >From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: This Is Spinal Ta-, er, Metallica
> >Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:14:15 -0600
> >
> >Highway Star and Communication
> >the
> > >
> > > There must BE a Communication Breakdown here!! Do you honestly
>mean
> >that?
> > >

> >Absofreekinlutely........You have no idea how influential that one
> >song was at the time. It spawned tonnes of music that were basicly
> >attempts to capture the same energy and sound.
> >It was one of those wierd phenamena where every garage band could
> >sorta play the song, but very few could really capture the feel of
the
> >song itself
>
> I fail to see the importance of that song. I really do.

Yeah.....thats a fair assumption for *you* to make really. The song
has quite a bit of relavence historically and for those who lived
through those times.
But it is quite true that its relevance is mostly diminished with time
even though echoes of it can still be heard from time to time.

> > > -Kansas
> >
> >Not as popular as they should have been. Icarus, Borne On Wings Of
> >Steel is one of my favorite songs ever.
>
> Yeah, they were ahead of their time. I think that's what held em
back. But
> on to "Icarus". It's a good song, but one of your favorites? What
about some
> other Kansas tunes like "Glimpse Of Home", "Loner", or "The
Pinnacle"?

Good songs, but for those of us who lived through those times they
were MOS. Actually, this is where your POV is usefull because you can
see the groups whole catalogue simultaneously whereas we older folks
tend to view the same catalogue temporaly. Have you ever noticed this
effect where people like a bands first few albums immensely and their
later albums somewhat less so? Thats where we old folks are at a
disadvantage at least as far as decades old music is concerned.

> > > -Rolling Stones
> >
> >In a holding pattern since 1971.
>
> No comment.
>

> > > -Jethro Tull
> > >
> >Totally awesome band who's concerts were note perfect every time I
saw
> >them.
>
> You saw them?! That's pretty neat.

Several times. Concerts back in the 70s were often elaborate
spectacles with special effects, full blown sets (with props and all),
and sometimes even films that were a part of the concert experience.
They just don't do that kind of "over the top" theatrical stuff
anymore. I suppose it's just too expensive.

> >You forgot  Genesis
>
> Phil is annoying to no end. And I dislike some of the religious
overtures.

Actually, I'm refering to the period when Phil was just a drummer and
Peter Gabriel was the vocalist. That was back when Genesis was "great"
if less than enormously popular. AFAIC, the only good Genesis album
after Gabriel left was A Trick Of A Tail.

Phil is annoying to me too. Good vocalist though.

> >Queen
>
> I like them. Brian May is one of my favorite guitarists. And of
course
> Freddie was a very talented vocalist.

You have to remember that Queen was *the* biggest band in the world
for a few years and deservedly so. They wrote songs that transcended
rock'n'roll, and transcended the music business, to nest in movies,
parody, and sporting events.

That's just not something that can be done with the intent to do so
and Queen did this multiple times.

> >Golden Earring
>
> Certainly not to be overlooked. Though I must say that White Lion
did a
> better job on "Radar Love" than Earring did!!

I'm not impressed with the White Lion version. (Temporalism strikes
again<G>) But I highly recommend Moontan. Every song is a jewel, every
song is completely different from the others, and every song is a
lesson in composition. Radar Love is the worst song on the album, but
it *is* very accessable to the Pop ear.

> >Supertramp
>
> Blah.

Ever try Crime Of The Century or Crisis What Crisis?

> >10CC
>
> Who?

10CC is worthy of their own thread. Awesome conceptualists and
composers.
How Dare You still sounds new today and is filled with some of the
wildest quirkiest song ideas. A real work of Art.

> >David Bowie
>
> Amazing artist. More influential than one may think.

I don't see how anyone could doubt this. I was listening to Bowie when
he was still generally regarded as "That Fag". Idiots!!!!!!
Brilliant, absolutely blinded by staring at the sun brilliant.

Again, Thank You Britain!

> >Rush
>
> Very solid band.

Way back when I hated Rush and Zepplin with a purple passion.
I was wrong.

> >Aerosmith
>
> One of the greatest Rock bandsever. Tyler is an amazing vocalist.

Joe Perry is one of the best at inventing guitar hooks. Really
oustanding at times.

> >Kiss
>
> I loathe Kiss. But apparantly thay had a great live show (one of the
best)
> and they were very influential.

The music is pretty solid and well thought out for the most part. Very
lean and quite fun. But the show is the real reason to love the music.
Film just never seems to capture the feel of their live act. Its worth
the price of admission.

> >Steve Miller
>
> Decent.

The songwriting in Millers early career was much better.

> >Chicago
>
> I like Chicago.

I respect them, but never owned any of their albums. They were
excellent in their early career though.

> >Thin Lizzy
>
> Awesome band.

I actually paid for Jailbreak, but they never cracked my top 100.

> >Edgar Winter
>
> Ah....ok.
>
> >Jonny Winter
>
> Is he related to Tommy Summer?

Yuck yuck yuck!!!

> >Bad Company
>
> So, so.

Were something of a phenomena from the start and put out a respectable
track record. Just good rock music, nothing flashy.

> >Foghat
>
> I like em.

Lonesome Dave will be missed. They used to pass through town every
four months or so. I must have seen them 10 times. Mostly by accident
as they were a perrenial backup band.

> >Foreigner
>
> I saw Foreigner in 97 I think. Great show. Only poor old Lou looked
about
> 100 years old. I caught Micks guitar pick when he threw it out into
the
> crowd.

A couple of good albums that I never bought. All my friends had them.

> >Lynard Skynard
>
> I love Skynard. Also seen them in 97. The bass player nearly spit on
me!

I hate Skynard, always have. Good band though.

> >Peter Frampton
>
> Also saw Frampton in 97 (same show). But I can't stand him. He's so
> overrated because he uses a voice box. "WOW!!! He can make his
guitar
> talk!!!!!!" Please....

He wrote some good songs early on.

> >Humble Pie,
>
> 30 Days In The Hole? If so, good song.

Frampton came from this band. They were quite popular with the drug
addled set. On their last tour ever they played for 5 hours
straight.(it might have been their last concert ever. very wild night)
Hell of a way to say goodbye. I was late for school the next day.

> >Yes, Robin Trower, Yes, Roxy Music, Yes, Kraftwerk, Yes,
>
> Ah...

Delete key getting tired?
<G>

> >Bob Seger
>
> I only like "Against The Wind"

Solid rocker.
I never much cared for him myself.

> >Black Sabbath
>
> Oh yeah!!! You wanna talk Metal influence? There ya go.

Yuppers

> >T-Rex
>
> Short lived, yet decent.

Yeah

> >Allman Brothers
>
> Nah.
>
> >Horslips
>
> Heard of, I think, but never heard.

You like Tull?

> >BTO
>
> Solid band. Randy can play.
>
> >ELO
>
> Not my style.
>
> >Yes, Tower Of Power, Yes, Al Stewart
>
> Huh
>

> >Billy Joel
>
> Love his music.
>
> >Cat Stevens
>
> Nah
>
> >Elton John
>
> Beautiful music.
>

> >Fleetwood Mac
>
> Talented, but not my style.
>
> >The Who
>
> Oh yeah!
>
> >Grateful Dead
>
> Not the worst
>
> >The Band
>
> Take a load off......decent.
>
> Yes, Pure Prairie League, Yes,
> >Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Yes, Head East, Yes,
>
> Wha?
>
> >The Eagles
>
> I like 'em.
>

> , Yes, Be
> >Bop Deluxe, Yes, Grand Funk Railroad, Yes, The Kinks, Yes, The
Tubes,
> >Yes,
>
> Nah
>

> >Pat Benatar
>
> Saw her as well. Her husband is an amazing guitarist!
>

> >Yes, Steely Dan, Yes, Kayak,
>
> Steely Dan....nah
> Kayak????

Royal Bed Bouncer, fantabulous album, some of the best music and best
lyrics I've ever heard from non-english speakers.

> >ZZ Top

>From Houston. The home team!!!

> Good stuff
>
> >AlanParsons Project
>
> Not my style.
>
> >Alice Cooper
>
> Never liked Cooper that much.
>
> >Neil Young
>
> Young is great.
>
> , Yes, CSN&Y, Yes,
> >and Frank Zappa.
> >

> Blah.
>
> >Did I mention Yes?
>
> Yes.

I could go on like this forever you know!
<G>

xponent
More Yes Coming Soon Maru
rob