On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:57:03PM -0600, Julia Thompson wrote:

> In fact, I have had the same BMI at a time when I was woefully out of
> shape as I had a few years later when I'd gotten into the best shape
> of my life, because I'd lost as much fat weight as I had gained muscle
> weight. :)

I think you may be setting a higher standard for yourself than just
health risks. Which is fine, but note that there is a range of body fat
to muscle that is acceptable from a health risk standpoint. Even if you
replaced some of your muscle with fat, you may not have significantly
increased your health risks. As long as your BMI is between 18.5 and
25, and your waist is less than 35 inches in circumference (female, 40"
male), it is unlikely that you have obesity-related health risks. Only
exceptionally sedentary and/or elderly people (i.e., extremely low
muscle mass) pass the BMI and waist criteria and still have health risks
due to body-fat.

Of course, 30 minutes of exercise a day is almost always good for your
health, no matter what your BMI.

Here is a good article from the NIH about overweight and obesity
assessment and treatment:

  http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/prctgd_b.pdf

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/