I'm not clear on why you believe this.  The overall
number of American and Iraqi casualties is lower -
significantly lower - than most people would have
anticipated before the war (myself included).

I'm not sure that's true. We were basically promised that the Iraqis as a whole would welcome us as liberators. Bush went to that aircraft carrier to proclaim the end of major combat operations. I don't think we were prepared for a high number of American casualties at all.

Tom Beck

my LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/tomfodw/

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never thought I'd see the last." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle