David Hobby thinks I've mischaracterized his position:

> > David Hobby thinks that workers are coerced into taking
> dangerous jobs
> > and that government can make us all safe:
>
> Mike--  If you mischaracterize my position, I won't discuss
> things with you.  Basta.

I'll address both of my characterizations of you and demonstrate their
accuracy.

First, I said that you believe workers are coerced into taking jobs. Quoting
you:

> When the market messes up, and people start dying from risks they
> did not have a chance to freely accept, then Government SHOULD intervene.

Do I have to get out the dictionary, or will you freely accept that I
characterized you accurately?

(I understand you might feel coerced in making this admission, kind of like
how somebody feels coerced when his dream job isn't available, but in
neither case is there any coercion.)

I also said that you think government can make us all safe. Quoting you:

> Intervening when markets malfunction is an integral part
> of what Government should do.

Now, in this case, the connection between my characterization and your
position is not so patently obvious. So I'll connect the logical dots.

First, though, let me say that when people of your ideological stripe talk
about "markets" malfunctioning, that's not what you really mean. You mean
every institution and association except government. You hubristically plan
to interfere in the voluntary relationships and associations people enter
into, and to impose your own view of what outcomes should be. To provide
moral cover for this arrogance, you literalize metaphorical references to
coercion. For example, you pretend that an employer who offers a deal to a
freely consenting adult is engaged in "coercion" by mere virtue of the fact
that no better deal is being offered elsewhere.

I also thought it was inadvertently revealing that you capitalized the word
government.

Clearly, you believe that government is *capable* of correcting "market
malfunctions" (whatever the hell those are), or you wouldn't be advocating
government intervention in the first place. The particular issue under
discussion in this thread has been workplace safety. Therefore, your
argument is obviously that government intervention is an effective way to
achieve workplace safety. Or are you saying that you don't believe that
government intervention is an effective way to achieve workplace safety? You
have to pick one or the other.

Finally, while I'm still in logical vivisection mode, I feel *compelled* to
comment on this:

> Mike--  If you mischaracterize my position, I won't discuss
> things with you.  Basta.

Now, I'll admit that this statement is not inherently incoherent. Perhaps it
could be taken as you warning me that, up till now, I have not
mischaracterized your position, but you suspect I might start soon, so I
better not or you'll give me the silent treatment. But we both know that's
not what you meant. You obviously believe that I have already
mischaracterized your position. But you still kept discussing things with me
anyway, didn't you? Bitcha.

Mike Lee
Islamic Moderate