Brad said:

> But isn't our intuition wrong--or perhaps it would be better to say
> that our intuition does not prepare us to study quantum mechanics
> and  relativity? It's true that brains that have our intuitions of
> space  and time tend to help the selfish genes that program them
> replicate  themselves. But "fitness" is not the same thing as
> "truth"...

Indeed not. But, so far as I can tell, Dan isn't saying that we have
intuitions about time that may or may not be correct, but that time
*exists* because we have intuitions. I presume he means that something
in our brain organises sense impressions into a spatial and temporal
structure. I don't doubt that this occurs, but like you I think that
this structuring only gives us an approximation to what's out there in
nature. Furthermore, I think that it presupposes at least some kind of
temporal structure (although perhaps I could be convinced that what
looks like a temporal structure is in fact a constraint on spatial
patterns in some kind of universe without time, or without temporal
flow [as, indeed, the universes in some theories of quantum gravity
might be, what with the vanishing of the Hamiltonian and all]).

Rich