On Sat, 29 May 2004 01:08:31 -0400, Damon Agretto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Your response was:
> > Believing it is impossible for the Church to retard learning between
> > 500-1000 because it barely survived is silly.  It was destroying
> > libraries and books before that time.
>
>Cite please. Specifically how the church was burning libraries and books.
>This is contrary to anything I've heard.

I posted some citations on burning books and libraries before that
time which is what you asked..

> This is all fine Gary, but again look at your dates and again look at the
> transition within Christianity. The role of Christians post Augustine, FREX,
> was as *preservers* of this legacy. A lot has been made about Muslims and
> preservation of knowledge, but where did this come from? The answer, of
> course, is from works preserved by Christians in the Eastern Empire. If
> there really was a concerted effort to destroy this legacy, would we have
> access to it at all?

I see no change after Augustine, it was not until around the time of
Aquinas that there was a change in attitudes toward ancient knowledge.
 While some Greek knowledge was preserved in the Eastern Empire you
are minimizing the importance of Toledo and Sicily when they fell from
Muslim hands.  These both took place just before 1100 and most of
Aristotle's work in biology. the Arab knowledge of alchemy, as well as
much else arrived in Europe from these conquests.

"So just what proportion of ancient literature has been lost? This is
difficult to answer but we can get a rough estimate from the size of
ancient libraries. Archaeology suggests that the biggest contained
20,000 or so scrolls and the Great Library of Alexandria itself is
most reliably said to have contained 40,000. On the other hand, all
the extant pagan classical works would not fill much more than a
thousand scrolls so we have been left with about 5% of what might be
found (barring repeat copies) in Rome."

> Furthermore, in sections of your post, you cite information such as the
> suppression of Arianism and Gnosticism. You post this without external
> reference to what was going on in Christianity at the time. Of course such
> works would be supressed since it was the belief of the mainstream that this
> was perilous and grossly incorrect.

It was the belief of the official state religion of a totalitarian
regime that information it disapproved of should be suppressed.  If by
mainstream you mean majority, until the successful campaigns of
Justinian (died 565) Arianism, not Catholicism was the majority
religion of Europe.

> So again, by posting this you create an unequal and only half-story, and
> minimize the efforts of later generations to preserve that information.

I am reminded of "Alas, Babylon" which mimicked this preservation by
having the Church canonization of a Jew and the manuscript
illumination of his grocery shopping list by barely literate monks who
had no clue to the works they were saving after a nuclear war.

I acknowledge that the Irish monks on the remote outskirts of the
Empire had a program to preserve manuscripts but the major recent book
on the subject is overrated and does not even mention sources besides
the Irish monks, i.e. Jews, Muslims, the Eastern Empire.

The point you are trying to make is that there was no Dark Ages, there
was no Renaissance, was no Enlightenment, and that the Church
preserved and spread knowledge and contributed to scientific
advancement?

I do not blame the Church for the Fall of Rome but as a totalitarian
creation that survived the fall of Rome it preserved knowledge it
wanted, suppressed other knowledge, and let non-spiritual knowledge it
was not interested in lapse.

Gary "wanting to have illuminated shopping lists"

#1 on Google for liberal news