News item 9/9/04:
MIAMI - Tourists and residents were told Thursday they will have to leave the Florida Keys to avoid mighty Hurricane Ivan, even as the state still struggled with the misery left by Hurricanes Frances and Charley.

Gov. Jeb Bush said the state had no choice but to go through another round of preparations, though the fact of a third threat seemed unreal. "Maybe someone creative in Hollywood could come up with something like this, but this is past my imagination," he said.

----

Well, it doesn't take Hollywood to explain this. How about just some old fashioned election year Wrath of God for what Florida did to the world four years ago, and a warning not to cheat in favor of thieving morons once again?

Or else... at the opposite but still politically relevant intellectual extremum... see it as Florida paying a penalty for Global Warming, a problem the Republicans long claimed not to exist. (In Earth I portray both FLA and parts of Texas/Louisiana nearly gone.)

----

Finally:

It looks like I will be the speaker on October 1, 2004 in Sproul Plaza for commemoration of the 40th anniversary of Mario Savio's rant atop a police car, which started the famed "Berkeley Free Speech Movement"!

Cool and weird to be chosen.  But hey, we need to defend it.  Always.

Thrive & endure.