> BTW, the upper class Republicans around me, tend to
> believe that poor
> people are that way because they don't have as much
> gumption as themselves.
> If those folks were to have worked as hard as
> oneself, then they wouldn't
> be poor.  That's not always true, but I've seen a
> lot of snobbery towards
> the poor around the Woodlands.  I'm not saying that
> there are not liberal
> snobs, but there are certainly a lot of Republican
> snobs around me.
>
> Dan M.

I sent my last message early by accident...

Sure, I understand that.  There might even be (a
little) truth to it.  Statistically, if you:
1) Graduate from high school
2) Don't get married until you're (I think) 20-ish
3) Don't have kids out of wedlock
Your odds of spending prolonged time below the poverty
line are _extremely_ low.  Doing all of those things
are "middle class values" that got sneered at by the
left for so long.  One of the lessons of the
extraordinary success of welfare reform is that the
government _can_ influence values for the good (we
already knew it could influence them for the bad) and
that doing so is incredibly effective.  But I would
never deny that you have lots of Republican snobs.
It's just that their snobbery doesn't become
translated into policy that actively hurts the poor
and does so under the guise of working for their
benefit.  You're the one who gets so wound up about
hypocrisy, Dan :-)

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]