----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: Abortion Re: The Magic Ingredient?

> (Of course, the Nazis considered Jews to be sub-human so they would
> presumably make a similar argument. The difference is that foetuses are
> clearly not functionally equivalent to adults or even children, whereas
> Jews are indistinguishable except for cultural factors [and in some
> cases, perhaps, certain genetic markers] from other people.)

Let's use that arguement.  What about infants?  The intellectual functional
ability of a 8 week premature baby is certainly not functioanlly equivalent
to even a full term infant.  Indeed, one could make a strong arguement that
an adult chimp functions at a superior level than a premature infant.
Thus, since it is not murder to kill the chimp, it is not murder to kill
the premature infant...since potential doesn't count.

> I have a counter-question (or rather some counter-questions!). You
> clearly believe in a form of essentialism that makes human life
> sacrosanct. Let me assume, for the moment, that you do not believe that
> chimpanzees should have the same rights as people. (If you differ from
> this position, I can rebuild the thought experiment along slightly
> different lines.) Now, let's suppose that some dastardly scientist has
> created a whole series of foetuses that have varying amounts of human
> and chimpanzee genes. At one end, there's one that's 99% human and 1%
> chimpanzee. At the other end, there's one that's 1% human and 99% chimp.
> Between these extremes they vary in 1% increments. Now, which of these
> (if any) do you consider should be worthy of the same protection that
> fully human foetuses should be accorded? Which of the adults derived
> from these foetuses should have full human rights? What determines the
> position of the boundary? If you consider the answer depends on exactly
> which human and chimp genes are included, which factors are most
> important? If you say that none are worthy of being considered human, is
> there any degree of chimp genome (perhaps one gene or a section of
> introns) that could be spliced in without removing the essence of
> humanity?

Isn't this just Zeno's paradox?

Dan M.