--- maru <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Not really Gautam: you asked for a way in which you
> could interpret the
> invasion as morally bad, and I provided it.

Yes, and I was pointing out the premise which makes
your statement true.  It's only morally bad if you put
an extremely high - a Westphalian, really - value on
sovereignty.  That's not wrong, but such a belief has
consequences.

> And Gautam, how do you get that simply because
> someone attempts to
> thwart your desires, they are irredeemably an enemy?

In international politics, an enemy state is one that
is attempting to do harm to yours, and attempting to
weaken your state's power is doing it great harm.
That's what the word means.  There's no such thing as
irredeemably an enemy.  We've fought two wars with
Germany, one with Japan, and one with Italy in the
20th century, and they're all allies.  We fought two
with Britain in the 18th and 19th - but the 20th
century has been dominated by the alliance between the
US and Great Britain.  Things changed because Britain
stopped trying to cripple or destroy the US, mainly.

> I have no doubt that the ultimate goals of Europe
> and America are the
> same: world happiness, and hopefully power along the
> way.

Why on earth would you think that?  If you said - the
ultimate goals of Great Britain and the US, sure.  In
the last few years, France has (for example) greatly
aided the Rwandan genocide.  Does that seem a
contribution to world happiness?

> Opposing 'democracy' in the Ukraine could be seen as
> actually helping
> it.

How?

> Try looking at it as 'we had to destroy the
> village in order to save
> it' from
> the US perspective, and you can see why the
> europeans would oppose it.

No, I certainly can't.  I mean, I undestand why some
members of the European left don't support it (not
European governments, which aren't that dumb).  But I
understand why The Guardian runs editorials attacking
Ukrainian democracy - because they oppose the United
States.  But that doesn't make it legitimate, and it
doesn't make it a contribution to democracy.  It just
makes it wrong, and we should treat it that way.

> Incidentally, this is not the only place on the
> globe with contested
> elections-
> why is it the Europeans are not reflexively
> attacking it there?
>
> ~Maru

In general, the European left is in favor of democracy
only when it involves Western Europe.  Democracy for
Arabs, or Asians, or even Eastern Europe - that
they're either ambivalent towards, or opposed to.
There's a consistency to this position, but not a morality.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"