* Erik Reuter ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> If US interest rates rise, then we will no longer have a surplus on
> investment income. If the US net foreign debt reaches 50% of GDP at a
> real interest rate of 2%, then the trade deficit will have to fall to
> 2% of GDP or lower to be sustainable (Setser and Roubini say it will
> need to go to 1%).

Actually, I should have said "...current account deficit will have to
fall to 2% of GDP or lower..." My number was the approximate sustainable
current account deficit, Setser's 1% number is for the trade deficit.

The formula for a constant foreign net debt to GDP ratio is
(approximately, it neglects unilateral transfers and other small flows)

 g = i + (M-X)/Y / (NFD/Y)

Real GDP growth is the sum of the real interest rate on net foreign
debt and the ratio of the trade deficit as a fraction of GDP to the net
foreign debt as a fraction of GDP.

As an example:

3.5% = 2% + 0.75% / 50%

A real GDP growth rate of 3.5% per year can indefinitely sustain a net
foreign debt of 50% of GDP with a real interest rate of 2% and a trade
deficit of 0.75% of GDP. The corresponding sustainable current account
deficit would be 1.75% of GDP.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/