In the last paragraph, you meant 'did not' right?
But don't give up hope. The Kyoto protocol still passed. People are still aware of enviromental problems (despite crappy propaganda like Crichton's State of Fear'.), and there is potential in the religious right: Didn't Genesis say we were put here to tend and care for the Earth?

~Maru

Gary Denton wrote:
A recent speech at the Commonwealth Club asks disturbing questions.and
finds disturbing answers.

Excerpt -
With fond memories, a heavy heart and a desire for progress, I say to
you tonight that...
Environmentalism is dead.

Every significant indicator of global environmental health is heading
in the wrong direction.
Storms and draughts are increasing in frequency and severity.

Anti-environmental conservatives control all three branches of the
federal government. And the
governorships. And the statehouses. And the school boards.

Conservatives are destroying the very institutions â from the tax
system to the United Nations to public schools â that hold the
solution to our ecological crisis.

It is at moments like these that we need to take a hard look in the mirror.

pdf - Adam Warbach
http://www.makower.com/downloads/werbach.pdf

This might be read in conjunction with Jared Diamond's Collapse - a
history of other societies collapse, usually self-inflicted, under
environmental changes.  Collapse also includes positive examples of
societies that changed policies - Japanese Tokugawa shoguns,  Tikopia
another Pacific Island like Easter, and avoided disaster.

I heard a conservative economist-historian(?) the other week who did
even know the Easter Island story.  He was trying to give a historical
perspective on healthy development and didn't know the best example of
unsustained development. (Drat. Discovered a flaw in Thunderbird, I
can't search my browser history - believe it was someone on CSPAN..)

Gary Denton