> For all its numbing ferocity, Hurricane Katrina will not be a unique
> event, say scientists, who say that global warming appears to be
> pumping up the power of big Atlantic storms.
> 2005 is on track to be the worst-ever year for hurricanes, according
> to experts measuring ocean temperatures and trade winds -- the two
> big factors that breed these storms in the Caribbean and tropical
> North Atlantic.

But not restricted to that: it seems that Southern Brazil may become
the next target for the Fury of the Atmosphere. Last year we had
one episode of a huge "thing" [thereĀ“s no consensus about its name,
either a hurricane or a cyclone - wtf that means], and this week
we had another. Other "windy things" are expected in September.

And here in Rio the temperatures go over 37 deg C...

Alberto Monteiro