On 12/9/05, Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

That was the first post-Saddam era *upstream deals*  Trying to slip one over?

> So what contracts were awarded before the first contract?  There may have
> been a consulting contracts before this, but this is a multiply sourced
> very specific reference to a tracable contract that have specific companies
> listed as participating in the contracts.
>
> I see nothing so concrete from your quotes.  It's all about secret plans to
> start a war to do something that never started to happen.  Further, the
> people in question would be starting a war to decrease their own companies
> net worth and income.

I summarized over 20 bids from newspaper articles in 2003 here - Point
to where this is all secret plans to start a war to do something that
never started to happen and say again there is nothing concrete?

"Halliburton and its KBR subsidiary received Iraqi oil field contracts
without competitive bidding... Bechtel Group won the contract to
rebuild Iraq without open competitive bidding.... A contract to
improve Iraq's public health system was awarded to a research and
consulting firm, Abt Associates Inc, from
Massachusetts....Halliburton's KBR, closely linked to Vice President
Dick Cheney, was given exclusive contracts in Iraq, including
renovating presidential palace to be used by the US. The company was
also given the Logistics Civil Augmentation Program that will "set up,
cater to and care for the Iraq-based officials and it has no cost
ceiling." ... A Washington report lays out the groundwork for
potential contractors and outlines the steps that will launch Iraq as
a test case for exporting neoliberal economic models to the Middle
East....Members of the Iraqi Governing Council expressed grave concern
over the $1.2 billion cost of police training in Iraq and the list of
sub-contractors approved by Bechtel... According to Christian Aid, the
Coalition Provisional Authority has accounted for only one fifth of
Iraq reconstruction funds.... On the first day of the [Iraq
Development] Fund's existence, May 22, 2003,  US President George Bush
issued an Executive Order that seems to formalize "crony capitalism"
in Iraq by substantially protecting US oil corporations.... The
Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) has been unable to account for
billions of dollars transferred by the UN to the Development Fund for
Iraq. Furthermore, the CPA has stymied the work of the International
Advisory Monitoring Board (IAMB) created to provide transparency...
The law firm headed by former US Secretary of State James Baker will
"restructure" Iraq's debts. Greg Palast points out that the
US-influenced Iraqi Governing Council made the appointment, thereby
preventing the US Congress from demanding accountability... .Funds for
the reconstruction and development of Iraq will pay for 26 contracts
in the electricity, oil and water sectors, but the Pentagon will not
permit French, Russian and German firms to take part....  and I'll
stop with a partial listing just through 2003."

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/contractindex.htm

I also provided a source with links to all the articles.

You, on the other hand, are trying to slip new development deals as
the "first deals" instead of only the first of that type of deal.

I also answered previously your argument that people pushing this was
were pushing this war against their own economic interests.  You seem
to be losing things, should I wait till you catch up on your reading?

> <snip>
> >> Finally, I think there is an unwritten assumption underlying this
> analysis.
> >> It is that Hussein never has and was very unlikely to ever pose a
> >> significant future risk to the United States.  No reasonable person
> could
> >> even think so.
> >
> >> Is my reading of that assumption valid?
>
> >I think that is a fair assumption.
>
> So, his invasion of Kuwait was just a local matter, and didn't pose any
> risk at all to the US or the world at large?

Show me where Saddam was prepared to invade Kuwait again.  Show me
where Saddam had any military offensive capability?  And not back 15
years ago but after he had suffered the worst military defeat in
modern times and then was embargoed for a decade.

You can't really believe this stuff your spouting, can you?

--
Gary Denton
http://www.apollocon.org  June 23-25, 2006