Robert J. Chassell wrote:

An optimist -- and I am still an optimist -- will argue that in spite
of forgone opportunities, the USA could help create a more civilized
and sustainable world.

Excellent post, Robert, you should have given it a Brin header.

As for optimism, I'm afraid I've lost some of mine. Five years of W, the packing of the SC with legal ludites, the knowledge that a solid majority of the people in this country believe that the universe was created in six (literal) days, the fact that my government would not only condone torture but make it official policy; well, you know the refrain. Maybe we can still do all the things you suggest, but it will require a sea change in attitude from where we seem to be right now.

--
Doug
On Board maru