On 27/04/2006, at 1:13 PM, Klaus Stock wrote:

inspired later Muslim philosophers and theologians. For example, the
Brethren of Sincerity
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Brethren_of_Sincerity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Encyclopedia_of_the_Brethren_of_Sincerity
- full disclosure: I wrote those articles) took a position that the
Creator was unbounded in ability and attributes, and that to even
describe him in remotely earthly (or comprehensible for that metter)
terms was to commit a falsity.

Heck. At least visually God resembles a human, as the Bible tell us so.

Crosspost from Culture:

One POV I did hear suggested by a fellow member of the Imperial College Christian Union, and that apparently is held by several Christian Biologists, was that "in god's image" does not relate to our physical appearance, just our mental and moral capacity - so evolution itself can be unguided, the act of creation of humans was the initiation of awareness allegorised in the Garden of Eden story.

Darwinists however might conculde that this means very little, because
during the creation of the universe, apparently no complex structures
existed - so the similarities with God won't neccessarily extend past the
basic structure/interaction of elementary particles and energy.

"Darwinists"? Ugh. I hate that. Especially as the rest of the paragraph talks about "the creation of the universe," which is nothing at all to do with evolutionary theory.

This discussion can of course be circumvented by adopting one of the most
popular religious viewpoint ("kill all non-belivers").

:)

Charlie