On 3 Sep 2006, at 11:23PM, John W Redelfs wrote:

On 9/3/06, William T Goodall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Given the Church's ongoing efforts to cover up the issue any lack of
published scandal prior to the well-known present day cases can't
show that molestation wasn't going on then too.

I really don't see how you could disprove it actually, but good luck.

I belong to a church that teaches a very strict Law of Chastity. And after my divorce when I was 23 years of age, I was celibate for 8 years while I tried desperately to find the wife that I have now been married to for 28 years. Anyone who has tried to live a perfectly chaste life after having once been sexually active, especially a young male as I was and as most priests are when they start out in their vocation, can tell you that such
celibacy is extremely difficult to achieve and even more difficult to
maintain.  It is preposterous to suppose that the legions of Catholic
priests are able to accomplish this.  By enforcing a strict rule that
Catholic priests must be celibate, the Catholic church virtually ensures that sexual hypocrisy will be the rule of the day among priests. I am dead certain that a great many of them are either misbehaving with young boys, other priests, nuns, or the wives of parishioners. Celibacy is simply too difficult to accomplish successfully for it to be effectively practiced on
such a wide scale as many suppose.

And since sexual abuse is generally recognised to be very significantly under-reported the true scale of this abominable religious evil can only boggle the mind!

Boggled Maru
--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Theists cannot be trusted as they believe that right and wrong are the arbitrary proclamations of invisible demons.