On 3 Sep 2006 at 20:01, Dave Land wrote:

> On the contrary, there may well be better words for it, such as "better
> informed about the current state of the Macintosh line than you seem to
> be." Or, "not just shooting his mouth off without being in possession of
> the facts."

Okay, you're supporting the direct comparison of component lifetime
vs unprotected time connected to the internet without catching
nastyware? Just to be clear.

>  From the page:
>
>      The brilliantly redesigned Mac Pro enclosure accommodates up to
>      four drives and 2TB of storage; offers 8 DIMM slots to fill with
>      up to 16GB of RAM; provides up to two SuperDrives. You also have
>      four PCI Express slots, and more I/O ports - including two
>      additional ports up front.

That's nice. I can't change the motherboard, there are seriously
limited drivers avaliable for graphics cards, sound cards...forget
it, and so on. And when I upgrade, I can't take much of it with me,
with a Mac, compared to a PC. There are no options just to get a new
Motherboard and RAM, if everything else would still be useful.

> Marketing hype aside, I think if you actually look, you'll see that
> not only
> do Macs come equipped with a lot that you'd have to _add_ to most
> PCs,

Like what? Remember I build my own PC's, so that's not something I'm
bothered about. The premium for pre-assembly is a direct strike
against Mac's for me.

> And
> you'll
> find that opening up a Mac and accessing all that expandability is a
> darn
> sight easier than most PCs:

Entirely based on case choice. My case is very well designed and I
have no issues working with it.

> > Blithering. Retard.
>
> Don't be so hard on yourself: lots of Windows users are uninformed
> about how
> far the Mac has progressed.

Yes, it's only 60% more expensive, as I said. Only. Given another,
what, twenty years, it might even become avaliable for sale in a form
I'd consider buying - one that dosn't tying me to a specific base
box.

And "hard on myself", right. I'm REALLY enthused about getting a mac
when all its zealots seem unable to stop themselves from taking cheap
potshots about the superiority of their machines when I have zero
dogma and are interested in precisely what they do - and how friendly
and helpful the community are (which is why I picked SuSe Linux over
Red Hat, for reference).

Given a lot of the professional programs I run are DirectX/.NET
based, and will not run on a Mac without installing Windows (and no,
I'm not a good coder and am not prepared to port them), there is
absolutely no reason for me to consider one. And no, I'm not changing
profession just so I can use a Mac.

AndrewC
Dawn Falcon