> form of public architecture.   For example, there are stone markers
> that mark the solstices, and little evidence of city life.   It is
<snip>
> So, in terms of discussion questions:
>
> Diamond related in the Chapter on the Pitcairn Islands how trading
> with friendly neighbors can sustain a civilization.   Chaco Canyon
> was clearly at the heart of an extensive trading network reaching to
> Mexico, the Pacific, and the central Great Plains.   Did Chaco
> Canyon stave off collapse for so long because of its trading ties?
> Or did the extensive trading increase the population pressures on
> the Canyon, pushing it to unsustainable levels, and ultimately
> leading to the Canyon's abandonment?

Hm, wait. "Little evidence of city life" and "was clearly at the heart of an
extensive trading network" appear contradictory to me. Well, at least when I
consider other historical examples of how trading opportunity and/or
activity lead to the appearance and/or growth of settlments and/or cities.

Best regards, Klaus and/or Maru