On 5 Jan 2007 at 21:51, Charlie Bell wrote:

> On 05/01/2007, at 9:13 PM, William T Goodall wrote:
>

> >> He "certainly" isn't. Strident, forceful and rude, vicious in parody
> >> and a baiter who goes far too far in getting his rise out of people.
> >
> > You calling me a master baiter Charlie?
>
> *cough* Something like that... I find your schtick a bit tiresome,
> but not as tiresome as seeing the same couple of people on the same
> couple of lists rise to the same bait every time.

Shrug, you expect me NOT to criticise a fanatic? Regardless of what
rubbish he peddles, and the vile he spews? Hatred and intolerance are
the enemy in that situation, Charlie.

> >> It's both. When organisations protect those among their number (as
> >> with the recent and ongoing Catholic Church abuse revelations),
> >
> > Or the emerging Rabbi abuse scandal in New York.
>
> Or that one.

Judaism is not "organised" like Christianity, outside certain sects
like the Lubivich - and even those are far, far smaller. Each
community selects a Rabbi, and organisations like the British Board
of Deputies are selected from Jews, not imposing their will on Jews.
(And getting them to agree to anything is like herding cats).

Further, there is basically zero support from the community outside
the Yeshiva, and minimal there. So...gee, comparing it with the
Catholic Church scandles is a little overblown. Heck, I believe the
prosecution's lawyer is Jewish.

> >> the
> >> organisation and mind-set behind it is just as fair game as the
> >> individual perpetrators. Individuals are wholly responsible for their
> >> own actions, but any organisation or movement that protects the
> >> guilty from justice and responsibility is just as guilty.
> >>

> > That's religion!
>
> Organised religion is a subset of the groups that are susceptible to
> subversion by the immoral, and especially in the case of Christianity

For starters, morals are derived from religious principles in the
first place. (Ethics, now...) See: the religous moral tales.
Moreover, ANY organised ideology is vulnrable, to single out religion
is completely wrong, and pandering to press hysteria.

And yes, many ideologies are altruistic, Charlie. Putting others in
front of *some* of your own desires is...not allways a bad thing.

AndrewC
Dawn Falcon