After 7 (?) years I'm still not entirely sure what defines the term
"neocon," or how to distinguish clearly whether a particular
individual is a "neocon" or is not a "neocon" . . .

(I have some comments on the remainder of jon louis's post but they
are going to take more time than I have had to spend on a reply the
past few days.)
-- Ronn!  :)

boy am i in trouble!~)
AFAIK neoconservatism goes at least as far back as the 60s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism
i could try to put it in a nutshell and say it was the transition from
a foreign policy of containment (of communism)...
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/cwr/17601.htm
... to a preemptive strategy (terrorism)
http://www.cdi.org/news/law/preemptive-war-031606.cfm
it was pitched to several republican administrations before it found a
home with junior.
jon louis :{

Knowledge is Power