From: Dave Land <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 02:44:13
To:Killer Bs Discussion <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Subject: Religion is Valuable: Why it Must Be Encouraged

Folks,

 From Nature:

     Religious Concepts Promote Cooperation
     Effect seems to work regardless of a person's beliefs.

     A belief in God may have promoted the evolution of cooperative
     behaviour, say Canadian psychologists. They found that priming
     people with religious concepts makes them more generous —
     regardless of whether they declare themselves to be believers.

     Notions of civic responsibility also promote cooperation,
     suggesting that religion might encourage altruism by invoking an
     omniscient judge of behaviour.

More at http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070723/full/070723-6.html

The point being that religion -- whether you consider it the core of
your being or a mental illness, is beneficial to humankind.

If it is a delusion, it is a pro-social delusion.

Dave