On Jul 27, 2007, at 2:59 AM, Richard Baker wrote:

> Dave said:
>
>> The point being that religion -- whether you consider it the core of
>> your being or a mental illness, is beneficial to humankind.
>
> So is your position that religions are useful rather than true?

Like much of what I "believe", it's a little of each.

There's an old saw about the priest who says that the Bible is true ...
and some of it happened.

Truth and factuality _intersect_ without necessarily being the same
thing. They are congruent, but not necessarily identical. Myths
encapsulate truth, even though the events in them did not necessarily
happen.

Dave