On 7/27/07, jon louis mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> as for competition versus cooperative models; they both have their
> flaws and advantages.  better to take the best of both, and disregard
> the rest...

My opinion is that it is ridiculous to imagine that either competition or
cooperation can take place alone.  There is no pure competition; nothing
that is alive exists unless there is the kind of cooperation that life
requires (I am proof that my parents cooperated).  There is no pure
cooperation; some resources are always scarce, so we inevitably compete for
them (stop using MY oxygen!).

Rules evolve or come about intentionally -- cooperation -- to create the
spheres in which we compete.

To Alberto's idea that Dave has to prove the cooperation is beneficial to
humanity... what, are you kidding?  Look around you.  Unless everything you
see is your own creation, you have benefitted from cooperation.  And I'm
fairly certainly that you didn't plan or build othis Internet we're using.
Which reminds me of a joke.

Satan tells God that it's no big deal to create humans out of dust.  "I
could do that," he says.  "Okay," God replies, "Go ahead."  So Satan reaches
down for a handful of dust.  "No, no," says God.  "You have to start with
your own dust."

The preceding story is probably not factual, but there's truth in it.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]