On 18 Oct 2007 at 21:34, William T Goodall wrote:

> On 18 Oct 2007, at 20:41, Andrew Crystall wrote:
>
> > On 18 Oct 2007 at 20:26, William T Goodall wrote:
> >

> >> Twice isn't 'many'. And the tablet doesn't include a phone. Better to
> >> compare with the iPod Touch which starts at just £199.
> >
> > Twice, plus the expensive contract the iPhone comes with. And sure,
> > you can compare the Touch but it's still a mulrimedia device, not a
> > computer.
>
> How is it not a computer? It has UNIX running on a fast RISC CPU,
> WiFi access, a web browser and a variety of other applications and
> the SDK will be available in February.

It's a closed platform. I cannot pick up a 'NIX program I want and
run it on there. A SDK can't compete with root access. Oh, and I can
get a lot of programs pre-compiled as well since it's got a x86-
family CPU.

> > If I get another small device it'll have a e-ink screen for reading
> > ebooks.
>
> The iPhone already has native pdf display.

PDF is an absolutely terrible format for small-screen viewing, you
realise? There are plenty of formats which are actually designed for
small displays.

Also, it's a LCD not an e-ink screen. Devices with e-ink screens have
battery lifes typically measured in months (they only need power to
page flip*), don't suffer from light or viewing angle issues, etc.

(*The ones which are also MP3 players, you can go through the battery
much quicker, sure...)

> >> SDK in February Maru
> >
> > Yep, a SDK in Febuary or a full Linux install now? Gee.
>
> Definitely the SDK in February.

Until you want to do something which the SDK doesn't permit. Like
run, say, Megamek. Or Starlight-3 (a propriatory design math
utility). Both of which run fine on ye tablet.

> Linux is OK for servers Maru

It's great for routers (sure there's VxWorks, but customisable
firmware is nice) and handheld devices too in my experience.

AndrewC
Dawn Falcon