On 10/24/07, Alberto Monteiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Years ago, I watched a Botsuana movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy",
> where the bushman hero used an interesting technique to fight an
> out-of-control fire: he used fire to start a controlled fire,
> creating a barrier of ashes, so that the uncontrolled fire
> would not get close to where he was.
>
> I don't know if this is possible in California, but maybe that
> would be the best solution to save what can be saved.

They're using backfires quite a bit.  They can be risky, though, when winds
shift... and the backfire can backfire, so to speak.  The Santa Ana winds
tend to stay consistent in direction -- but once a fire reaches a good size,
it starts creating its own weather, including unpredictable winds, so the
backfires have to be set fairly far away.  Along those lines, I saw some
video of a "fire tornado" in the San Diego area... scary.

Also, I would note that he was protecting them from a grass fire, which is
quite a different beast than a the kind of wildland fires happening here,
although the principles can be the same in some cases.

Or... perhaps what California needs is a lot more rhinoceroses, if you
remember that part of the movie.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett