From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Julia Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:56 PM
To: Killer Bs Discussion
Subject: Re: Brin: Fire info

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, David Brin wrote:

> thanks Nick,
> Thanks for asking. Cheryl & the kids & pets are with Cheryl's mom in
> her mobile home along el camino real, in a more urban part of
> Encinitas.  All are fine.
>
> Last night I stood on the hilltop behind my home, looking up Lone Jack
> Road at hillside lines of fire near Del Dios Highway.  It was tense,
> especially with Santa Ana wind gusts whirling in all directions.
>
> Last I checked at 5pm the fires seemed to have veered south into lower
> Rancho Santa Fe (2nd richest community in America). Another finger
> threatens from the north but the Bridges country club is paying big $$
> to help block it for us.  Nice of them.
>
> With the family cared-for, I put on my green CERT* vest & goggles and
> hard hat to canvassed our neighborhood to see who had stayed.  Then I
> helped man a sheriff's roadblock
> for a while.   And again a while later with the
> natural.er. National Guard.
>
> Ever wonder what happened to civil defense, in an era of high
> techHomelandSecurity?  It's guys like me. heaven help us!

And bless you for being there!  This is a great example of what it is to be
a good citizen, IMO!  I'm glad that there are ordinary folks without fancy
training and titles but with the attitude necessary to just step in and do
what needs doing.  I like people like that.

In other news, our local classical music station, which never, ever, ever
has any news on it, actually mentioned the wildfires in California this
morning as a lead-in to the brief weather forecast -- it seems like every
afternoon this week, we have weather conditions for a few hours that would
spread any fire like wildfire (or is the colloquialism too close to home?),
and we were being cautioned by a dj with a very soothing voice.
:)

(It rained recently, but the air is now extremely dry due to a cold front
having come through, and the winds are stronger than usual.)

        Julia