Hi David, everyone.

The footnote on the ieti.org article about Startide Rising being in
pre-production in 1999 left me feeling a bit sad.  Is there any chance at
all of the Startide movie being resurrected before aliens make contact or we
are caught up in the Singularity?

If Paramount aren't going to make it, perhaps the Japanese or the Koreans
will take up the challenge.  I have only ever seen one Korean film (Musa -
The Warrior).  It wasn't Science Fiction, but it was interesting and
featured very good Cinematography.  A Korean Startide might be very
interesting.

I have enjoyed all the Uplift novels, but ever since I first read Startide,
I have been waiting for a sequel that shed some light on the fate of the
crew of the skiff.  I suppose the scale of the events in the second
Triology, make their story trivial, but all the same if you revisited that
particular sub plot, I could guarantee you at least one enthusiastic reader.

As for the possibility of lurkers, I am of the opinion that they don't
exist.  I suspect that intelligent life is rare and that interstellar travel
very difficult, and that's the simple if sad answer to the Fermi Paradox.

Regards,

Wayne Eddy.