It's possible. The director of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow created
his demo on a Mac with a couple of actors in front of a blue screen.
Hopefully, any CGI created characters will look better than the ones in
Final Fantasy:The Spirits Within.
My preference would be to have human actors in front of a blue screen and
all others animated. I seem to remember Himself once writing that he'd like
to see Cate Blanchett play Gillian. Now I'd pay 10 bucks to see that.

john